Achari Gobi (pickled cauliflower with garbanzo beans and bell peppers). A delicious, easy and healthy meal great for weeknights. Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
I wanted to try something with a pickled(Achari) taste to it. Some of the Achari dishes I have seen before were made using Paneer(cottage cheese). Since we are not a big fan of Paneer in this house anymore :), I ended up with yummy Achari Cauliflower florets. Some garbanzo beans and Green bell pepper add an additional twist.
Achari Gobi (pickled cauliflower with garbanzo beans and bell peppers)
- 1 cup (100 g) of cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup (82 g) canned garbanzo beans (drained and washed)
- 1/2 (0.5) green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) chili flakes or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) turmeric
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) mustard seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) fenugreek seeds (Raee)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) nigella seeds (Methi)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin seeds (Kalonji)
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- fresh Cilantro for garnish
- Coarsely blend/grind the fennel, cumin, mustard, fenugreek and nigella seeds.
- In a large pan, dry roast the blended spices on medium heat for a minute. You can dry roast the whole spices and grind and keep as well. For a more punjabi achari taste, add a bit more fennel and nigella seeds. Southern Indian Pickles use more of mustard and fenugreek seeds, so you can try adjust the spices according to taste!
- Add the oil to the pan with spices and mix well.
- Add in the turmeric and chili flakes and mix well.
- Add in the chopped garlic and cook for a minute. (Garlic is optional)
- Add in the cauliflower, garbanzo beans and green bell pepper and salt and mix well to coat.
- Cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally but lightly to avoid breaking the florets. Cook covered for 15 minutes and then partially covered for the next 10.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with lemon juice and topped with chopped cilantro ! with some hot Roti/Chapati, Daal (lentil curry) and salad!