Multi Lentil Ldli (Steamed Rice Cakes) and Dosa (Crepes). Serve with a lentil curry or coconut chutney as part of a healthy breakfast or lunch. Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Multi Lentil Ldli (Steamed Rice Cakes) And Dosa (Crepe) Vegan Gluten Free
To be soaked:
- 1/2 cup (100 g) urad daal (split black gram daal)
- 1/2 cup (95 g) brown rice
- 1/2 cup (92.5 g) white rice (I used basmati.. typically should use parboiled rice)
- 1/4 cup (59.15 g) toor daal (split pigeon pea)
- 1/4 cup (59.15 g) whole Raungi (other names Black eyed peas/cowpea/lobhia/chowla)
- 2 teaspoons methi seeds (Fenugreek seeds)
To be added later:
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 dried red chili
- handful of cilantro leaves
- salt to taste
- Soak all the to be soaked items overnight (12 hours) .. its quite cold here right now.. so i usually let it be for 12-16 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the soaked lentils/grains along with ginger, dried red chili, washed cilantro leaves and salt(1/2 teaspoon or more) with little water if needed.
- If this mixture doesnt look fermented enough, add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, or keep for another 4-6 hours in a warm place. Or you an use it as is for Dosa crepes.
- Grease Idli stand and mix and pour the batter.
- Steam the idlis for 20-25 mins and let stand for another 10 before removing from idli stand.
- Serve with sambhar (lentil curry), coconut chutney or any podi powder! Serve in breakfast or lunch! There are other lentils or oats and grains, vegetables can be added as well.
For The Dosa/Crepes
- Grind the mixture to as fine paste as you can with a little extra water. Heat a griddle on medium high for a few minutes. Drop a few drops of oil on it and spread the oil all over using a paper napkin or the cut side of an onion to form a thin layer.
- Drop a ladleful (1/4 cup) of the batter on the griddle and spread the batter using the curve of the ladle, inside to out in a spiral. Video for basic Dosa recipe and how to shape the crepe.
- Let the crepe cook for 2-3 minutes or until the under side is golden brown. Flip and cook for another minute.
Chili Garlic Chutney:
- Heat a tablespoon of oil, add in finely chopped garlic or garlic paste, add in red chili powder and a pinch of asofetida(hing). Take off heat in a minute of so once the garlic starts to turn golden.)
- Total time does not include 12 hours soaking time
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving