We always had these cold sandwiches packed up when going for a trip, while growing up. These are Mom’s favorite sandwiches for a reason. A- they taste really good, B- all the kids always ate them without much fuss, or any fuss, C- they are easy to whip up, pack and take anywhere 🙂
Mom used to make the sandwiches with home-made butter. The whole process of making cream and then butter and all that from milk. Now of course we just sub it out with earth balance, evoo or other non dairy butter options. I have my eye on this vegan butter and this one to try to make some palm oil free buttah at home! What is your favorite vegan butter or substitute option?
I mean really, who doesnt like Mint Cilantro Chutney, cucumbers and bread :). Use any of my breads ranging from Wheat, White, Multigrain, Rye and more here. Or use GF breads here.
These Snack/picnic sandwiches are perfect as tea sandwiches too. The Indian version of tea sandwiches. yumm.
Add some cooked chickpeas,beans or blackened tempeh or a veggie burger patty to make these into a meal.
More Sandwiches and Burgers here.
The easier way to make these is to use the entire slice of bread and layer everything. Then slice the sandwich into triangles or squares or other shapes. I decided to show the cross section for the pictures, hence already cut slices.
Layer some, or lots of Mint cilantro Chutney.
Layer tomato slices, then cucumbers.
Sprinkle salt and black pepper.
Top with more chutney if you like.
Spread some earth balance or non dairy butter on the top slice.
Cut up the sandwich into favorite shapes.
Pack these sandwiches for a road trip!
Cucumber, Tomato, Mint Cilantro Chutney Snack Sandwiches. Vegan Recipe
Mint Cilantro Chutney - About 2 cups
- 2 cups (90 g) packed fresh chopped mint leaves or 2 bunches
- 2 cups (32 g) packed fresh chopped cilantro I use leaves and stems or 2 bunches
- 1 hot green chili use less or more for preferred spice level
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder or cumin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) kala namak ndian black salt or use more lemon juice to taste
- 1/2 (0.5 ) a medium sized apple chopped or use tomato or omit
- chaat masala to taste
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Sliced Cucumbers peel if preferred
- Bread Slices
- non dairy butter or extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Mint Cilantro chutney:
- Blend all the ingredients into a smooth thick paste. Use a few Tablespoons of water if needed.
- Taste and Adjust salt and spice, mix.
- Keep in an air tight container in the refrigerator for a few days or freeze for months. Thaw when needed and use.
- Top a slice of bread with the mint chutney. Spread evenly.
- Layer the tomatoes, then cucumbers.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread earth balance or other non dairy butter on the top slice and place on the sandwich.
- Slice diagonally or in any other shape as preferred.