Easy Black Bean Burrito Bowl. Spicy black beans, roasted peppers and veggies, zesty guacamole, pico de gallo, fresh lettuce. DIY Burrito Bowl Chipotle style. Use other beans of choice, or use tofu to make sofritas bowl. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe All from Scratch!
This Chipotle style bean bowl is the kind of bowl that make me very happy. A good helping of spicy beans, roasted veggies, lettuce or greens, fresh salsa and guacamole is all is needed for a hearty lunch or dinner. Most of the work is chopping up the veggies if you have cooked beans. And easier if you have some salsa and guacamole on hand. Let the beans simmer on one side and the veggies grill on the other. Assemble as you like. It rarely gets assembled like these pictures. My bowl helping is a a big scoop of everything in any order, and in goes the fork.
Or make a carry out lunch. Pile up on a large 10 inch tortilla, roll into a burrito and carry along. Use other beans and salsas for variation. What’s in your burrito bowl!
More bowl meals from the blog.
- Curried Kidney Bean Bowl with quinoa, zucchini, mango salsa
- Moroccan Chickpea Cauliflower Bowl with herb dressing
- Shawarma Chickpeas, Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl
- Masala Chickpea bowl with creamy chickpea dressing.
- Quinoa Cauliflower Bowl with almond Sriracha sauce
Serve with or without tortillas. Or make your own burrito in a large torttila.
Video: Subscribe to my youtube Channel!
Easy Black Bean Burrito Bowl
For the Spicy Black Beans
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) chipotle pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried oregano or a tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- a very generous dash of black pepper and cayenne
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 15 oz (425.24 g) can of black beans drained or 1.5 cups cooked black beans
- salt to taste depends on if the beans are salted or not
For the roasted veggies
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 (0.5) red onion sliced
For the guacamole
- 1 ripe avacado
- 3 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 (0.5) jalapeno or hot chili finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground cumin
- 1/4 cup (4 g) chopped cilantro optional
- a generous dash of cayenne or chipotle pepper, garlic, black pepper and salt
- 2 tsp or more lime juice or lemon juice
For the pico de gallo
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (70 g) finely chopped red or white onion
- 1/4 cup (4 g) chopped cilantro
- 1/2 (0.5) jalapeno or hot chili finely chopped
- 1 tsp or more fresh lime juice or lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- Cooked rice of choice or cooked grains
- chopped lettuce or greens of choice
- a dash of lime juice salt and cayenne
Make the black beans
- Add all the ingredients to a pan over medium heat. Mix well. Add a tbsp or so water and mix in. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the beans are hot. Stir once in between. Taste and adjust salt and spice.
Roast the veggies
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Spray oil on the pan (optional). Place the veggies on the pan and cook both sides until most have brown edges or marks. You can also cook the veggies in a regular pan. Heat a tsp of oil over medium high heat, add veggies and cook until golden brown on most edges.
Make the guacamole.
- Mash the avocado well, add the rest of the ingredient mix well. Taste and adjust salt and tang.
Pico de gallo
- Mix everything, taste and adjust and keep asie, or use other salsa of choice like spicy salsa or tomatillo salsa.
- Assemble the bowl as you like with cooked grains, lettuce and helpings of the black beans, guacamole or just mashed avocado, roasted veggies and pico de gallo. Add a dash of salt, cayenne and lemon juice. I like to serve the bowl with warm beans and roasted veggies as the rest of the ingredients are cold. Or assemble all the fillings into a large tortilla and roll into a burrito.
Love it and it is simple..
Vegan Richa Support
perfect, thanks for coming by
Hi there, just found your site, loving the recipes. Can you please tell me if the nutritional info is in net carbs (with fiber removed) or total? Also, does the nutritional information include the rice, or just the recipe before additions?
made this for a quick meal. wow! the beans are awesomely good.
What can I substitute the ketchup for?
made this for lunch this week! looks delicious and can’t wait to devour x
Whole meal was amazing! Very quick and easy to make… However, I think I definitely need to go easier on the chilli. This had my whole face burning
Came here from a Google search and let me say the spiced beans are literally amazing. Everything else was great but the beans were just too fantastic! I am in love. Definitely will be checking out more recipes!
Yay! so glad you found the blog!
I loved this flavour-full dish! I cut back a bit on the Chipotle pepper and the beans were delicious—exactly as spicy as I hoped. I ran out of time to make the Pico di Gallo, so just used store bought salsa. So satisfying, and a perfect meal for my vegan boys. Thank you!
Ana @ Ana's Rocket Ship
Mmm…. This looks SO GOOD. And I think everything is going to be in my burrito bowl. Cause how will I be able to leave anything out?
Thank you for providing me with my new go-to delicious weeknight meal. I adore your blog and your book…thanks so much for what you do!
Thanks! yay for good meals!
I just made this recipe had all the ingredients at home just have to say YUM.
Really nice way to cut out the bread. I have been trying to stop eating so much wheat. Really nice. Thanks 🙂
I love rice bowls of any kind! I don’t live anywhere near a Chipotle so making a good one at home is essential! 🙂 p.s. I ordered the fenugreek you had suggested to me on IG awhile back. Thanks!
Made this for dinner last night! Used some tomato paste and added a bit more water to make the bean sauce creamier and made cauliflower rice but it was really yummy!
rachel @ athletic avocado
I love chipotle but it can get pretty expensive! Good thing I can make my own version now with this!
yes, plus all those scares lately.
Loved the spices with the black beans…made this for dinner with lettuce wraps…so good!
A healthy and sumptuous bowl. Love the spicy black beans. Going to try this one.
Definitely making this! I have a container of home made vegan sour cream that I can also add in. Not much Mexican themed food here in South Africa and not much of that is vegan :).
Love your book too xxx
This sounds absolutely perfect for brunch! You put every essential of a burrito into such a delicious concoction!
As a college student, all I want to do is quadruple this recipe, pack some plantain chips with it, and have lunch for the week. yum.
i would too!