Flan, caramel custard /pudding. A delicious, smooth and creamy dessert that’s simple to put together. Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe.Jump to Recipe
Fresh cranberrrieeess in season now.. and I served some along this beautiful caramel flan! Also made some cran-blue berry upside down cake..all a part of our thanksgiving spread. The entire spread pictures and Roasted delicata squash recipe here.
I was looking to veganize the eggy flan for a while. Flan or creme caramel or custard pudding with soft caramel is one of the desserts which have sweet childhood memories associated with it. My maasi(mom’s sister) would make us some caramel custard for special occassions, and it was perfect, with the perfect sweetness, the perfect burnt sugar, and better than any flan I’ve had in restaurants. I cant beat her perfection, but this flan comes quite close! I found some references to Cafe con leche flan in Viva vegan and another version somewhere online used tofu. I decided to cut out the soy and here is my recipe!
More caramel and silkier flan!
Flan, Caramel Custard/Pudding. Vegan Gluten Free
Flan, caramel custard /pudding. A delicious, smooth and creamy dessert that's simple to put together. Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe.
Servings: 2 servings using two 3.5 inch ramekins
- 5 Tbsps raw sugar (brown sugar or sucanat)
- 1 Tbps water
- 2 Tbsps raw sugar or other sweetener to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) agar powder
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- vanilla extract if using regular coconut milk
- 1.75 cups + 2 Tbsps (395.95 ml) So delicious vanilla coconut milk
- In a pan, add in the sugar and water for the caramel and mix on medium heat. Let it come to a boil, reduce heat to low and keep stirring occasionally till it gets dark and thick. Pour the caramel in the ramekins and spread around while still hot. reserve the pan.I like my caramel dark and burnt and bitter.
- In a bowl whisk the agar powder into the coconut milk and add it to the pan in which you made caramel, on low heat.
- Keep stirring frequently and let it come to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch to a couple of tablespoon of cool coconut milk and mix well.
- Add this cornstarch mixture and the sugar to the boiling milk and keep boiling for 7-10 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached.
- Pour this boiling mixture in the caramel covered ramekins.
- If your caramel is a nice thick layer, then bake the ramekins for 3-4 minutes in 375 degrees F, so the caramel melts and the mixture just begins to bubble on the edges, and the caramel mixes well with the bottom.(I like this version better.)
- Let it cool for 10 minutes then refrigerate for atleast 2 hours.
- You can also use soy/almond milk or creamer with vanilla extract to make the pudding and add half cup blended silken tofu just before almost done, bring to a boil and take off heat. Mix well and pour immediately into ramekins covered in caramel.
- I made another batch with 1/2 cup coconut creamer, 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/4 cup tofu and that was so creamy!
- To serve, run knife gently along the sides to loosen the flan and invert it on the serving plate. If the flan doesnt slide out easily, then dip the bottoms of the ramekin in hot water for a minute and invert. Serve as is, or with fresh fruits.
Nutritional value is based on 1 serving
Flan, Caramel Custard/Pudding. Vegan Gluten Free
Amount Per Serving
Calories 618 Calories from Fat 423
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 41g256%
Vitamin C 2.2mg3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
What favorite desserts do you plan to make this holiday season?
Agar powder is a gelatinous substance derived from algae and a great substitute for gelatin. You can find it whole foods or health stores, though it is much cheaper if bought online from iherb, swanson or amazon!
This flan is headed to Hearth and soul blog hop, Slightly indulgent Tuesdays, Ricki’s wellness weekend, and Amee’s Fit and Fabulous Fridays
So delicious and easy to prepare! Thanks for sharing – this will definitely be served frequently.
I think there’s a typo. After 4 minutes of baking the ramekins, it was definitely not done. I think you meant to type “30-40 minutes” in step 7. 🙂
The caramel should melt start to bubble up on the side. that happens within minutes. After that the pudding just has to set in the refrigerator. It is all cooked and ready to set.
“I made another batch with 1/2 cup coconut creamer, 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/4 cup tofu and that was so creamy!”
How did you make using the tofu?
just blend the tofu with the coconut milk and proceed.
oh it looks heavenly!!!!
Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I included your flan in my post, “An Allergy Friendly Christmas Dinner” today. Looks delicious!
Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery
Jane H. Johansen
Nom nom nom!
This looks so delicious!! I love coconut milk and I cannot wait to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!
Delicious n yummy pudding!!
first time to your space,happy to follow you 🙂
Do drop by my space and I would love if you follow my space too
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
This looks so delicious! I haven’t had flan in so long.
Thanks for the pin Elsa, do let me know when you try it!
Thanks Uma, there are several varieties of raw sugar.. i use sugar in the raw or sucanat. you can use jaggery too if you dont mind the strong taste. the raw sugar tastes like mild jaggery.
Thanks Hannah.. this should work for u without any dairy!
Thanks Hannah@bittersweet.. hope you make some this for your mom!
I like this eggless flan richa. BTW, raw sugar here is jaggery. am I right?
This looks great. I pinned it to try later. 🙂
A big WOW! What an incredible piece of work!
Now this is a dessert I haven’t had in a while- Thanks for the enticing reminder! It’s a favorite of my mom’s too, so she would be thrilled if I revisited it… Looks perfectly rich and creamy. 🙂
How fabulous!! I’ve never considered making a flan dessert because of our dairy allergies. Yum!
Thanks junia.. i just got some agar and i cant stop trying all the puddings and custards i;ve missed!
Thanks jb! i made them twice already.. luckily could take some pictures before they all vanished!
Thanks Ella. hope you like it!
Yum I’m just craving something light and sweet 😉
This sounds so wonderful, and I love using agar. Forget the holidays, I’m making this all for myself!
i love using agar flakes! i’ve made almond milk pudding with agar before and it gives the perfect flan texture! this recipe sounds fabulous.
Thanks you Farrah and Gail! Please do let me know how it turned out! Have an amazing day!
Thanks Raji. I just started using agar and its so much fun veganizing some faves!
Thanks Cara. hope u try it and like it!
Gail for So Delicious Dairy Free
Vegan flan? Incredible, Richa! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! I will be making this for dessert tonight!
These look delicious and so pretty on the plate. I love the cranberry touch. I have been trying think of ways to make a vegan custard, certainly going to try this one.
You are a genius!! Vegan custard??? I just cannot even get over it–this is a MUST TRY!! xo
You are a temptress Richa…the pudding looks simply wow and love the simple ingredients. I really like agar agar and use it often to make puddings.
Yuuuum! I have always wanted to try flan! This looks gorgeous 🙂