Fresh cranberrrieeess in season now.. and I served some along this beautiful caramel flan! Also made some cran-blue berry upside down cake..all a part of our thanksgiving spread. The entire spread pictures and Roasted delicata squash recipe here.
Flan, Caramel Custard/Pudding. Vegan Gluten Free
- 5 Tbsps raw sugar (brown sugar or sucanat)
- 1 Tbps water
- 2 Tbsps raw sugar or other sweetener to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) agar powder
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- vanilla extract if using regular coconut milk
- 1.75 cups + 2 Tbsps (395.95 ml) So delicious vanilla coconut milk
- In a pan, add in the sugar and water for the caramel and mix on medium heat. Let it come to a boil, reduce heat to low and keep stirring occasionally till it gets dark and thick. Pour the caramel in the ramekins and spread around while still hot. reserve the pan.I like my caramel dark and burnt and bitter.
- In a bowl whisk the agar powder into the coconut milk and add it to the pan in which you made caramel, on low heat.
- Keep stirring frequently and let it come to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch to a couple of tablespoon of cool coconut milk and mix well.
- Add this cornstarch mixture and the sugar to the boiling milk and keep boiling for 7-10 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached.
- Pour this boiling mixture in the caramel covered ramekins.
- If your caramel is a nice thick layer, then bake the ramekins for 3-4 minutes in 375 degrees F, so the caramel melts and the mixture just begins to bubble on the edges, and the caramel mixes well with the bottom.(I like this version better.)
- Let it cool for 10 minutes then refrigerate for atleast 2 hours.
- You can also use soy/almond milk or creamer with vanilla extract to make the pudding and add half cup blended silken tofu just before almost done, bring to a boil and take off heat. Mix well and pour immediately into ramekins covered in caramel.
- I made another batch with 1/2 cup coconut creamer, 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/4 cup tofu and that was so creamy!
- To serve, run knife gently along the sides to loosen the flan and invert it on the serving plate. If the flan doesnt slide out easily, then dip the bottoms of the ramekin in hot water for a minute and invert. Serve as is, or with fresh fruits.