The cheese and other contents of this sandwich are gluten-free and can be used with a gf bread. The cheese is also soy-free and refined oil-free.
It feels like some amount of work. But I make bread every week, and the rest of the stuff is also already made as sides. I make a big batch of roasted sweet potatoes some days to add as a side with any meal, and some herbed cooked millet too. So with already available millet and sweet potato, the sandwich comes together easily. Or use sliced up veggies instead of sweet potato, and mashed avocado for pea pesto for a quick fix.
Make this plain, or with Jalapeno peppers. Fill it with other things, like blackened tempeh strips or field roast or with potato chips.. like this Salt and Vinegar Grilled Cheese!. So many options. There is limited oil in the bread and the pesto and it can be easily eliminated to make the entire sandwich oil-free.
For more Burgers, Sandwiches see here.
Cook the millet and put the sweet potatoes to roast. Both will take about 15-20 minutes.
Prep for other fillings if adding.
Make the Pea pesto.
Use as much as you like on a slice of bread.
Layer the roasted sweet potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
Pour a generous amount of cheese sauce. Cover with another slice and grill.
The cheese sauce thickens when heated and sets as it cools. and the sandwich will stick together if there was a good amount of the cheese in it.
Grilled Nacho Cashew Millet Cheese Sandwich with Roasted Sweet Potato, Pea Pesto. Vegan Recipe
- 1/2 cup (72.5 g) peas I used frozen, thawed
- 1 clove of garlic or a generous pinch of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil optional
- a bunch of cilantro 1/2 cup
- sea salt to taste
- water as needed
Roasted Sweet Potato
- 1 Sweet Potato peeled and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- salt and dried herbs
Cashew Millet Nacho Cheese
- 1/4 cup (31.25 g) Cashew flour ground raw cashew
- 1/4 cup (56.5 ml) Coconut milk
- 1/4 cup (50 g) Cooked Millet or use cooked quinoa or a Tbsp cashew flour
- 1 Tablespoon chopped red pepper or canned pimientos
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- a generous pinch of black salt kala namak
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) smoked paprika
- a generous pinch of garlic powder cayenne powder and mustard powder
- 1 Tablespoon Tapioca starch
- Other: Slices of bread: I used Rye Almond Loaf Slices.
- Sliced Red Onions
- add Pickled Jalapeno pickled onions, meat substitutes, fresh herbs, mashed Avocado.
- Pea Pesto: Blend all the ingredients. Use a little water if needed to get a spreadable consistency. Adjust salt and spice.
- Roasted Sweet Potato: Brush the Sweet Potato slices on both sides. Place on parchment lined sheet.
- Sprinkle salt and dried herbs of choice and bake at 415 degrees F / 210ºc for 18-20 minutes.
- Cashew Millet Cheese: Blend all the ingredients except millet. Taste and adjust salt and spice.
- Add millet and blend again to somewhat smooth state. Some unblended millet is fine.
- If you are not planning to grill the sandwich at high heat, you can omit the tapioca starch. The starch helps the cheese sauce thicken and get stringy when hot. The cheese then sets as it cools and holds the sandwich together. * You can also use cooked quinoa or 2 tbsp more ground cashew.
- Make the Pea pesto. Prep the cheese ingredients and blend.
- Layer a bread slice with pesto, roasted sweet potato and red onions.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper. Layer the cheese sauce generously on top.
- Top with another bread slice and grill.
- You can add cheese sauce layers to both slices, add some jalapenos, any veggies(raw or roasted of choice and grill for a plain grilled nacho cheese sandwich.
Did you know .. via visual.ly