A super delicious Mughlai Veggie Biryani packed full of flavor with delicious herbs, spices and veggies. This recipe is great for dinner or entertaining. Vegan Gluten Free Recipe.Jump to Recipe
Muglai Veggie Biryani
- 3 cups (555 g) basmati rice cooked
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion chopped
- 6-8 (6 ) raw cashews (you can use roasted or fried as well)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- 1 cardamom
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) coriander seeds or powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- Assorted chopped veggies: ( I used 1 cup cauliflower, 1/2 cup green bell pepper,1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 cup peas, 1/2 cup french beans. You can add Tofu tikkas as well.)
- 1 cup (16 g) cilantro for garnish
- 1 cup (150 g) chopped tomato for garnish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cook the rice and keep aside.
- In a large pan, heat the oil at medium heat and add all the whole spices(cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel, coriander, bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom)
- Let them cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the chopped onions and mix well. Cook the onions with occasional stirring.
- Add in the dried red chillies, raw cashews and turmeric after 10 minutes and cook for another 5 minutes or until onions turn golden.
- Cool this onion cashew mixture and blend with a little water to coarse paste.
- In the same pan, add a little oil and this mixture. Cook the mixture for 6-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in all the veggies, ginger garlic paste, salt and sugar.
- Mix well and cook on medium low heat, covered, with occasional stirring.
- Once the veggies are almost cooked, remove from heat.
- Grease a baking dish and layer half inch of rice.
- Drop the veggies mixture on top to cover all of the rice with a half inch layer. If here is more veggies mixture left, you can make another rice layer and veggies layer.
- Add a half inch layer of rice.
- Garnish the top with chopped tomatoes, cilantro and lemon juice.
- Cover dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes right before serving.