Potato Subzi with Dried Fenugreek and Fennel. Easy recipe ready in half an hour. Serve this hot with curries or Daal soups, rotis or rice! Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Potato Subzi with Dried Fenugreek and Fennel
- 3 medium potatoes chopped into cubes
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 4-5 cloves (4 cloves) of garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) red pepper flakes (adjust quantity for the heat you want in the dish)
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- pinch of asofetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 2 tablespoons crushed dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt to tate (1/2 teaspoon or so)
- Heat oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they start to splutter.
- add in the asofetida, cumin, fennel and fenugreek seeds and mix well for a few seconds.
- Add in the red pepper flakes, ginger and garlic and mix well. Cook for a few minutes until garlic starts to turn golden
- Add in the turmeric powder and potatoes and mix well.
- Add in the dried fenugreek and chopped cilantro and salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat. Stir occasionally.
- Cook until potatoes are soft and well cooked from the inside (15 -20 minutes)
- Serve hot with curries, rotis, rice!
- Variation 1: You can eliminate the fenugreek seeds and dried fenugreek.
- Variation 2: Use slit green chili instead of red pepper flakes.
- Variation 3: Use butter instead of oil
- Variation 4: Replace fennel seeds with whole coriander seeds!
- Variation 5: Add a teaspoon of vinegar at the end just before switching off the heat.
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving