Chilla, Cheela or Pudla are simple Indian breakfast pancakes. These Vegan Chickpea flour Pancakes are crepe like savory breakfast. Add veggies to the batter or serve with roasted veggies and a dip. Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Recipe.
This is my Mom’s chilla/ cheela recipe. It is also known as pudla. The classic Indian pancake made with besan (which is split chickpea flour) or chickpea flour is a popular breakfast in North India. These pancakes in the simplest form are easy and perfect for breakfast, a snack, or a side flatbread. For a veggie omelet version, add less water for a thicker batter and add leavening such as baking powder and some kala namak (Indian sulphur black salt) for eggy taste. Add finely chopped vegetables such as zucchini.
Recipe from Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen
Read about the differences between besan and chickpea flour here.
- 1 cup chickpea flour garbanzo bean flour, or besan (gram flour)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon carom seeds ajwain or cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 hot green chile finely chopped (remove seeds to reduce heat)
- 1/4 cup packed chopped cilantro
- 1 to 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon safflower oil divided
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini or other vegetables optional
- 1/8 tsp Indian Black Salt kala namak
- In a bowl, combine the chickpea flour and 3/4 cup water. Whisk to get a smooth consistency. Whisk in another 1/2 to 3/4 cup water to make a thin lump-free batter. (If using besan, you will need less water to get the same consistency).
- Add the salt, turmeric, cayenne, carom seeds, onion, chile, cilantro, and 1 teaspoon of oil, and mix well. Add zucchini if using. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, drizzle a few drops of oil on the skillet. Spread the oil using a paper towel. Pour a ladle full (1/4 to 1/3 cup) of the batter onto the skillet. Spread the batter by moving the skillet to make a 6 to 8-inch pancake. Drizzle a few drops of oil on the edges of the pancake.
- Cook until the edges start to leave the pan and the bottom is golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Flip and cook for 2 to 4 minutes. Continue to make the rest of the pancakes. Serve hot with ketchup, chutneys or sriracha. Chilla can also be stuffed with roasted veggies or potatoes.
Nutritional values based on one serving
My Awesome Vegan Indian Cookbook is now available in Print and digital (kindle) versions.
- Andrews McMeel Publishing
- Barnes And Noble , IndieBound
- Chapters Indigo
- India – Amazon.in and Flipkart (Print book will be available May 20)
- Amazon.ca (canada), Amazon.co.uk , Hive.co,uk, Bol.com (eu) Amazon.de (Germany), Thalia.de (Germany),Amazon.it (Italy), Amazon.jp, Amazon.es, Booktopia (aus), Fishpond.nz
- Wherever Else Books are Sold!