Saunf Aur Kalonji Waale Aloo Shimla Mirch (potatoes and bell peppers flavored with fennel and nigella). Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
I make the usual dry Potatoes and green Bell pepper stir fry type of main dish often. This one has red bell pepper as well and is flavored a bit differently, with some Fennel(Saunf) and Nigella(Kalonji). Fennel and Nigella seeds give the dish a slight pickley effect. Most indian pickles have a good amount of fennel and nigella seeds in them. If you’ve tried indian mango pickles and other pickles and have liked them, then do give this simple dish a try!
Saunf Aur Kalonji Waale Aloo Shimla Mirch (Potatoes And Bell Peppers Flavored With Fennel And Nigella)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- pinch of asofetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) chili flakes (more or less to taste)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1/2 (0.5 ) green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 (0.5 ) red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- In a medium pan, heat oil on medium low heat until hot.
- Add in the asofetida, cumin powder and give it a quick mix.
- Add in the fennel seeds and nigella seeds and turmeric and give it a mix.
- Add in the garlic and chili flakes and let the garlic turn golden.
- Add in the potatoes, peppers and salt and mix well.
- Cook on low heat covered with occasional stirring for about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro leaves and a sprinkle of black pepper! Enjoy with Rotis or Naans!