Oats Poha, a delicious and nutritious savory breakfast recipe made with rice flakes, veggies and spices. Full of flavor and easy to make. Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Breakfast.. the most important meal of the day! It should have a good balance of nutrients and a healthy dose of protein. I cant really digest raw fruits, so I havent caught on to the smoothies yet.. But there are so many more options than just pancakes, waffles and smoothies.
Savory Breakfast Oats Poha
- 1/2 cup (92.5 g) rice flakes (thick Poha)
- 3/4 cup (60.75 g) old fashioned Oats
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) mustard seeds
- 3-4 tbsp (3 tbsp) onion diced
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) chopped green chilies or chili flakes to taste chopped
- nuts such as cashews/peanuts chopped
- 1/3 cup (78.86 g) potatoes (cooked/boiled and baked)
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup other veggies like small carrots, peas, zucchini chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- lemon juice
- Soak the rice flakes and old fashioned Oats in hot water, for 5 mins( just enough water to cover all).
- Or you can make this with only Oats. Add enough hot water to dampen them and let sit for 2 minutes. A bit of rice flakes in the mixture help the oats stay separate and not clump up)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Spread oil to evenly coat pan.
- Add the mustard seeds when the oil is hot. As soon as they start to sputter, add a few curry leaves and give it mix. Add 3-4 Tablespoons diced onion and chopped green chilies or chili flakes to taste. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add nuts and cook for half a minute. Add the chopped cooked(boiled/baked) potatoes and turmeric powder, mix and cook for a minute. If you don't have cooked potatoes, chop uncooked ones into smaller pieces, microwave them a minute at a time till almost cooked, and then add to pan, or you can skip potatoes.
- Add other veggies like small chopped carrots, peas or zucchini. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add soaked oats and rice flakes, salt and mix well. Cook covered on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Open, mix well and cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and lemon juice and serve hot!