Vegan MoFo(Month of Food) is here already! This year Month of Food is September. The plant based version of NaNoWriMo is all about blogging together, blabbing as much as you can about vegan food, a month of inspiration, themes, and meeting people.
All of my Vegan Mofo posts from the last 2 years can be found here. This year is about Easy Everyday meals and snacks, and Wednesday Vegan Ramblings from my head to blog ;).
So lets get going Post 1, with this delicious and spicy vegan buffalo tempeh wrap. There is delicious spicy tomatoey spanish/mexican rice, some toasty Tempeh drenched in Buffalo sauce, Red bell peppers to balance the heat, Kale and parsley to add the green. and voila.
Clearly I need more practice and wrapping the wrap. Those tortillas were surely a bit more crumbly than usual (or so I think). They are black bean and garlic, wheat and barley tortillas.
Toast the rice for 2 minutes. Then add tomato onion puree.
Add water, salt, cumin powder, chili powder, oregano. Mix, cover and cook until rice is done.
Meanwhile, Cook the tempeh until golden brown.
Toss all the tempeh in buffalo sauce and let sit until ready to use.
Cook the bell pepper or use roasted.
Wash and chop Kale. then blanch it.
Rice now done.
Assemble the wrap:
Spread a generous(or to taste) amount of buffalo sauce on the tortilla. Or use hummus spiked with the buffalo sauce.
Top with spanish rice and Tempeh.
Top with Kale, roasted Red Bell peppers.
Add cilantro or parsley and fold. Slice and serve.
Spanish Rice, Buffalo Tempeh wrap with Kale, Bell Pepper
For the Spanish rice:
- 1/2 cup (92.5 g) rice
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 large ripe Tomato
- 1/4 cup (40 g) onion
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) chili powder or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) garlic powder
- Additions: a Tablespoon of tomato paste or a 1/4 cup fresh salsa.
For the buffalo sauce
- 2 Tablespoons hot sauce + 1 Tablespoon Sriracha + 1-2 Tablespoons melted earth balance butter/oil
- Or 2 Tablespoons Sriracha + 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + 2 teaspoons vinegar
- Or 1/3 cup of your favorite Buffalo sauce
For the wrap:
- Tortillas or lavash bread
- 1 package 4 oz 3 grain Tempeh use gluten-free Tempeh or black beans for gf
- 1 Red bell pepper thinly sliced or equivalent roasted red bell pepper
- bunch of Kale rinsed and chopped
- cilantro or parlsey chopped
- Oil as needed
- For the Spanish rice:
- Wash and rinse the rice.
- Toast the rinsed rice in about 1 teaspoon of oil for 2 minutes.
- Blend the tomato and onion (and a pickled jalapeno if using) into a chunky puree.Add the tomato onion puree and spices and water to the rice.
- Mix well, cover and cook on low-medium heat, until rice is tender. 15-20 minutes.
- Add a few Tablespoons chunky salsa into the rice when done (optional).
- For the Tempeh:
- Slice the Tempeh into thin 1/4 inch slices. (Steam Tempeh before using to reduce the bitter taste if that is bothersome. Boil for 8 minutes in water, slice and use).
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan and heat on medium heat. Add the tempeh to the pan and cook on both sides until golden brown. 2-3 minutes each side.
- Remove tempeh from pan and Add 2-3 tablespoons of Buffalo sauce, enough to coat and let it sit until ready to use. This can be made ahead and kept.
- In the same pan, roast the red bell peppers in a little oil until brown on the edges. Or slice roasted red bell peppers and use.
- Assemble the wrap:
- Prep and start the rice for cooking. Meanwhile, make the buffalo tempeh.
- Roast/cook the red bell peppers. Then chop and blanch(cook in boiling water for a minute or 2) or massage the kale and keep ready. or use raw washed Kale.
- Place the tortillas on a napkin or work surface.
- Spread buffalo sauce on the wrap. Or use hummus spiked with the buffalo sauce.
- Top with spanish rice. Top with Tempeh.
- Top with Kale, then Red Bell pepper
- Top with cilantro or parsley.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Roll it up. Cut and serve or carry for lunch.
- Serve the leftover Spanish rice(there might be some left) on the side.
Add some vegan mayo or ranch to the wrap to balance the spice.
Add lettuce or thinly sliced carrots for added crunch.
Serve in a bowl for a meal in a bowl, and to make it gluten-free. Nutritional values based on one serving
The first year of Mofo, I did regular blogging with no particular theme.
The second year, I was more ambitious and adventurous with the Pizza theme. Trying to crank up not just 20+ different toppings but also 20+ different Crusts! With a good lot of Gluten-free and some grain-free(cauliflower, mung bean crusts etc) options.