Vegan Chilaquiles with spiced Chickpeas. Taco Spiced Chickpeas and crisped tortilla with easy red sauce make this 20 minute savory breakfast or brunch. Easy Chilaquiles Recipe. Nut-free, soy-free. can be gluten-free. Pin this for later
A hearty savory breakfast is what gets me going for a productive day. When my family was visiting this summer, the menu would cycle between Pudla (chickpea flour pancakes), Chickpea flour scramble, Poha – Oats and Rice flakes hash, Upma – Cream of wheat savory porridge, Savory french toasts and South Indian tofu scramble from my book and Stuffed parathas (stuffed flatbreads).
I wanted to add some not so Indian savory options for breakfast which come together fairly quickly for a week day. And these Chilaquiles are just that. Cook some onions and veggies. Add chickpeas and taco spices and cook for a bit. Add tortilla chips or crisped tortilla, the easy 5 ingredient Red sauce, simmer and done. Serve with chopped onions, cilantro, lemon or some avocado/guacamole and vegan queso. Hearty and filling breakfast, brunch or lunch.
At a glance it looks like lots of ingredients, but they are just spices. 7 main ingredients – Onion, garlic, carrot, Chickpeas, Taco spice or chili blend, tortilla and red sauce. And the Red sauce is 5 main ingredients tomato paste, water, some of the onion garlic mixture, chipotle pepper and cumin!
Chilaquiles are a traditional Mexican dish that have fried tortilla strips, some salsa or sauces of the salsa like red, Green or mole. The tortillas are simmered in the sauce until the tortilla starts softening. There can be meat or beans added to the mix. The dish is generally served as breakfast or brunch to use up the leftover salsas and tortillas. Vegan versions can use tofu or beans or chickpeas. I use chickpeas in this version with crisped tortillas. You can pan fry or bake the tortillas or use tortilla chips of choice. I usually crisp the tortillas on a direct flame.
If you make these Chickpea chilaquiles, do let me know in the comments! And rate the recipe.
Cook the onion garlic carrot mixture until golden. Reserve half of the mixture for the red sauce.
Add chickpeas and taco spices and mix in.
Cook for a few minutes so the chickpeas are coated in spices and pick up some flavor.
Layer tortilla chips or tortilla over the chickpeas. Blend the red sauce and add to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Taste and adjust salt.
Add garnishes of choice and serve hot with more tortilla chips or crisped tortillas.
Vegan Chilaquiles with Chickpeas Recipe
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (42.67 g) chopped carrots
- 15 oz (425.24 g) can Chickpeas garbanzo beans, or 1.5 cups cooked
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cayenne
- a good dash of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more salt
- 2 (2) tortillas or 1.5 cups tortilla chips
- chopped red onion cilantro and lime juice for garnish
- 1/4 cup (65.5 g) tomato paste
- 1 (1) tomato
- 1 cup (250 ml) water or stock
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground cumin
- half of the onion garlic mixture from above
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) salt
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots and a pinch of salt and cook until golden. 4 to 6 mins. Stir occasionally. Reserve half of the mixture for the red sauce.
- Add chickpeas and spices to the skillet (or use 1 tbsp or more taco seasoning or chili powder blend of choice ). Mix well, Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the red sauce: Blend all the ingredients and reserved onion garlic carrot mixture until smooth in a blender and set aside. (You can also make the sauce with red salsa, chipotle pepper, cumin, salt and water as needed).
- Add tortilla chips or crisped sliced tortillas to the chickpea skillet. *
- Pour the blended sauce over them. mix and bring to boil. Taste and adjust salt and heat and mix in.
- Serve immediately garnished with chopped onion, cilantro, and a dash of lime juice. Add other garnishes like avocado or vegan sour cream/vegan queso etc.