Easy peppery Chickpea flour Scramble. Soy-free Breakfast Scramble. Make with lentil flour or lentil batter for variation. Vegan Gluten-free Soyfree Recipe. Pin this Recipe!
Breakfast is the meal of the day where I want to eat a hearty almost meal, but there are always issues. Limited time, not wanting too heavy a meal like a real meal, but still substantial enough, and not a smoothie! Hah. We love savory breakfasts in my house, which range from Chickpea flour pancakes (Chilla), Oats hash, Tofu scrambles, Upma, frittata etc, to quick sandwiches with hummus and leftover veggies, or with panfried tofu + avocado+ tomato + cheese or creamy sauces (hollandaise , ranch), bean quesadillas or stuffed paratha flatbreads (Indian calzone).
Chickpea flour scrambles are another favorite which we make sometimes as an afterthought. I make a chickpea omelet with half the batter and then scramble up the next one, so we have both to share. This scramble is super easy. Cook up some veggies of choice. Add some spices if you wish. Blend up the chickpea flour batter and pour over the veggies. Cook for a few and scramble it up. You can also mix the cooked veggies into the batter and cook the batter on your pancake skillet to make an omelet. Break up the omelet when almost done for a scramble. Use other batters such as the lentil batter from this frittata for variation. You can also use chickpea flour tofu to make the scramble. Oh and I made a video of the recipe too.
More Savory Breakfast options from the blog
- Lentil Asparagus Veggie Frittata
- Broccolini White Bean Chickpea flour Frittata GF
- Fluffy Chickpea flour omelet /pancake GF
- Lentil Mung Bean Omelettes with blackened veggies and havarti. GF
- Chilla / Pudla – Thin Chickpea flour pancakes with Indian spices
- Savory Oats Veggie Turmeric Hash
Yes I made a Video! Choose the quality in settings to watch at high quality 🙂 It is my first attempt at video-ing and wow it takes time to make videos and then hours to edit them! Any video volunteers out there who want to make videos of my recipes? Or just drop me some tips on easy editing software options or any suggestions.
Troubleshoot: If the mixture sticks too much to the skillet, you need to a pancake only skillet or a newer non stick skillet. I use Cuisinart green gourmet PFOA PFOE free pans which work great for the scramble. Cast iron would work well too. Skillets that are often used to make veggie stir frys tend to not work well for batter type dishes like chickpea batter omelets, pancakes, scrambles, as the batter sticks to the pans.
Chickpea Flour Scramble Breakfast Recipe
Chickpea flour batter:
- 1/2 cup (60 g) chickpea flour or use 1/2 cup + 1 or 2 Tbsp more besan/gram flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or less paprika
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) kala namak Indian sulphur black salt for the eggy flavor
- generous dash of black pepper
- 1 tsp oil divided
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup (40 g) chopped onions
- 2 tbsp each of asparagus green bell pepper, zucchini or other veggies.
- 1/2 (0.5) green chile
- 2 tbsp chopped red bell pepper or tomato
- cilantro and black pepper for garnish
- Blend all the ingredients under chickpea flour batter and keep aside. You can also use lentil batter from my lentil frittata.
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent. 3 mins.
- Add veggies, chile and cook for another 2 mins.
- Add in the red bell pepper or tomato and mix in. At this point you can add in some spices or blends or some chopped greens if you like.
- Pour the chickpea flour batter over the veggies. Cook for 2 minutes or so until the edges start to set. Drizzle 1/2 tsp oil on the edges. Scramble up the mixture and continue to cook. The mixture will get messy and doughy. Scrape the bottom and let it cook undisturbed for 2 mins or so before scrambling again. Continue to cook until the edges start to dry out. Total 4 to 5 minutes depending on your stove and pan.
- Let the doughy mixture sit off heat for 1-2 minutes. Then break into smaller chunks. Sprinkle black pepper very generously. Sprinkle a bit of salt and garnish with cilantro (optional). Serve over multigrain toast or in tacos or burritos.
Or break the pancake into small pieces like a scramble. Nutritional values based on one serving