These vegan stuffed French toasts are a perfect brunch treat Jump to Recipe
Samosa is a Fried or baked pastry with savory filling, usually potatoes and peas for the veggie version. (If you havent heard of Samosa yet, you need to head out to your nearest Indian restaurant today!) The filling/stuffing can be made several different ways and is very versatile.
Samosa French Toasts
- 2 teaspoons organic canola oil
- 1 green chili chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) fennel seeds optional
- (Na) a generous pinch of asafoetida hing
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric haldi (Optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) garam masala powder/curry powder or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) amchur dry mango powder or Chaat masala powder(or add lemon juice to the potatoes when cooked)
- 2 medium boiled potatoes. Mashed or cubed small.
- 1/4 cup (36.25 g) green peas optional
- 1/4 cup (4 g) chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) red chili powder or to taste
For Variations: Add a Tablespoon of chopped ginger garlic, and saute with the peas. Add a Tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
- Heat oil in a pan. When hot, add the cumin seeds, saute for a few seconds.
- Add the fennel or coriander seeds and green chili. Mix for half a minute.
- Add the asafoetida, turmeric, garam masala, mix, and add the peas if using, and cook for half a minute.
- Add in the boiled potatoes, salt to taste. Cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the amchur or chaat masala, cumin powder, chili powder, cilantro. Mix well, taste, adjust salt and spice(my mom would add a load of red chili powder right about now).
- Take off heat.
- (You can also make this with uncooked(not boiled) potatoes. Add potatoes and peas together. Add 1/4 cup water and salt, mix and cook covered on low-medium for 14-16 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes a bit, add the other spices and cook for another minute or so.)
To Make French Toasts:
- Mix 2/3 cup chickpea flour and add 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp rock salt(kala namak or Chaat Masala), 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste, 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida(hing, optional), 1 teaspoon oil, 1 teaspoon green chili paste or chili/cayenne powder, and about 2/3+ cup water and mix well to get a lump free thin-ish batter in a deep bowl. Or make your own favorite french Toast batter.
- Take a bread slice. Mash the stuffing and pack it on top of one slice. Top with another slice. Dip the whole toast in the batter to coat well,
- Pan fry with 2-3 teaspoons of oil, on medium heat, partially covered, 3-4 minutes each side.
- Serve hot with ketchup, Cilantro chutney, sriracha, other sauces/chutneys of choice.