I have made Beet Bread before with grated beet. This one has blended beet and whole lot more beet and a whole lot more color.. the nice dark raspberryish red!
I also added some orange Zest for some tang and heres the pretty bread!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3-4 cups bread flour
- 1 packet quick rise yeast
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium sized beet peeled, chopped and then coarsely pureed in a blender.
- 1 Tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 2/3 cup water
- oil for greasing
- Puree the chopped and peeled beet with little water, honey and salt to form a coarse puree. It will look like finely grated beet in some pulp. Keep aside.
- In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup warm water and yeast and 1 teaspoon brown sugar and mix well. Wait until the mixture becomes frothy. 10 minutes.
- Grease the mixer bowl and add the flours, zest, softened butter and rest of the sugar and beet puree and mix well.
- Add in the yeast mixture and the remaining water and knead for 8-10 minutes (batches of 3 minutes) Add more flour or water if required.
- The dough should leave the sides and be soft ant not sticky.
- Place dough in well greased container covered in a warm place for an 80 minutes.
- Punch the dough down and use some flour to knead it to make it less sticky. The dough will be sticky after the rise because of the extra moisture from the beets.
- Shape the loaf by pulling on all sides and tucking under and place in well greased bread pan.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until the bread looks nice and brown and sounds hollow.
- Cool completely before slicing. Since hubby was freaking out on the color of the bread, I toasted the slices to a nice brown to serve him with the breakfast! I love the color though!
This one's headed to YeastSpotting!