This one is a bit different than the regular blueberry breads I make with fresh blueberries added to the dough. I made a light sugar blueberry compote and added that to get a nice distribution of the berries and a nice color to the bread as well!
It is not a sweet bread, so it can be used as a sandwich bread!
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3-4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 cup water
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon quick rise yeast and 1 teaspoon active yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- half an apple coarsely blended with little water
- Make ahead: Warm 1/2 cup water and add 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon active yeast to it . Mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add 1/2 cup bread flour to it, mix well and keep it for an hour and then refrigerate for 8-12 hours to get a sticky gooey sponge.
- For the compote, boil 2/3 cup of water and add 4 teaspoons sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and blueberries to it. Boil for 15-20 minutes until it thickens and all blueberries burst.
- For the dough, Grease the mixer bowl and add in the flours and salt and 1 teaspoon quick rise yeast and. Mix well.
- Add in the oil , sponge, blueberry compote and some water. and knead for 10-12 minutes( batches of 3-4 minutes and then scrape the bowl and wait for the mixer to cool a little if too warm) Add more water or flour if needed.
- Dough should be soft and pliable. Use more flour or water if needed.
- Place dough in well oiled container, covered with plastic wrap in a warm place for 2 hours
- Lightly take the dough out and fold it with additional flour if needed. Shape into loaf by pulling on all sides and tucking under. Use flour on hands to avoid dough sticking to hands. Handle dough gently to avoid losing the trapped air.
- Place loaf in well oiled bread pan and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Let rise for 1.5 hours. Bake loaf at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing. I usually place the cooled bread in the refrigerator for half an our before slicing with an electric knife for nice and clean slices!
This one headed to Susan's Yeastspotting !!