Yep, it sure is a multi-grain multi-fruit mini loaf! These tiny slices have whole wheat flour, bread flour, flaxmeal and quinoa! And the fruits! Strawberries, blueberries and Apple! One whole mish mash of whole lot of stuff!
The bread is mildly sweet and as delicious as can be. I love fruit breads! As these make for a great snack by themselves or in combination with dips, fresh fruits, in salads, with nut butters and any which way. In each helping, You get your grains and you get some fruit!
2 mini loafs.
- Add the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar to 2 Tablespoons warm water and mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Boil the remaining water( about 1/3 cup) and add rinsed quinoa to it. Cook until done, about 10 minutes. All of the water might not be absorbed.
- In a blender, puree the apple, strawberries, blueberries with the remaining sugar and flax meal.
- Add the done quinoa to the puree and blend once again. You can skip this step and add quinoa directly to the dough to get the grainy texture.
- In a bowl add the flours, wheat gluten and salt and mix.
- Add in the yeast mixture, oil and fruit+quinoa puree (or fruit and cooked and cooled quinoa)
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes, scraping sides every 2-3 minutes if using a stand mixer. add more flour or water in little quantities if needed. As with any fresh fruit/vegetable bread, the fruit gives out a little extra moisture than a normal bread while the dough sits for the rising time. So keep the dough soft and not too sticky. Also, depending on the water content of the fruits, you might need to adjust flour content.
- Spritz the top of dough with some oil spray. Place dough in a covered container in a warm place for 1.5 hours.
- Punch it lightly. For mini loaf pans, divide dough into 2 parts. Knead and shape into a loaf. Use bread flour to help reduce stickyness. Shape by pulling on all sides, or by rolling it out into a rectangle and rolling the rectangle from one side and tucking the other edge under.
- Place loaf in greased mini bread pans. Spritz the top with water and then spritz a little oil spray and cover with damp towel.
- Place it in a warm place or warm oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove towel, spritz top with some water and bake at preheated 35o degrees F for 25 minutes. (35 minutes if baking one bigger loaf)
- Remove bread from pan and let cool for an hour.
- Slice and enjoy as is, topped with the creamy herbed berry topping( vegan cream cheese mixed with mashed berries and herbs), or marmalade, or nut butters, or topped with a tofu scramble!
And the Only Baked Event at Tamalapaku !