Back with a Cake! A day late for Independence Day(15th), but hey I baked it on the right day! Just posting it today!
I was thinking of what to use for the colors. Saffron for orange would have been the obvious choice, but I chose carrots. And matcha green tea powder for the green! and Vanilla for white and some blueberries for the blue! The colors of the Flag.
The Indian Flag: Bhagwa or the saffron colour denotes renunciation or disinterestedness. Our leaders must be indifferent to material gains and dedicate themselves to their work. The white in the centre is light, the path of truth to guide our conduct. The green shows our relation to (the) soil, our relation to the plant life here, on which all other life depends. The “Ashoka Chakra” in the centre of the white is the wheel of the law of dharma. Truth or satya, dharma or virtue ought to be the controlling principle of those who work under this flag. The wheel also denotes motion. There is death in stagnation. There is life in movement. India should no more resist change, it must move and go forward. The wheel represents the dynamism of a peaceful change.
I cant really eat a super sweet and all white flour cake. With my sensitivity to anything and everything, my teeth would start to chatter and I would start dancing with all those processed carbs! So I try to have a good balance of whole grain, unprocessed foods, fruits and other ingredients in my desserts! Whats the use of the super yummy dessert if I cannot eat it:) So heres a Wheat, Oat, Carrot, vanilla, green tea, blueberry.. ok stop now, mini cake! Oh, and it has some cashew butter and coconut oil too. The cake is more of a quick bread with low sugar content..:) Add some more for a sweeter tooth and top it off with blueberry compote or some fresh fruits and vegan cream and there will be more blissss. I am going to make the carrot layer with more carrot and add some walnuts to make some carrot walnut blueberry muffins too!
Ingredients: One 6×3 inch pan
- In a large bowl, add flax meal, vinegar, sugar, oil, cashew butter and 1/2 cup almost hot water.
- Mix it well till the mixture is well combined and a little light. Add in the oats, mix well and keep aside for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the flours, pumpkin pie spice, salt, baking powder.
- Add in the wet mixture and mix. If the mixture doesnt become like a batter, add more water/almond milk. Mix until just about combined.
- Divide batter into 3 parts.
- Add shredded carrots to one part and mix gently in. Add green tea powder to the second part and mix until well combined. Add in the vanilla extract to the third and mix.
- Grease a mini loaf well. Add the green tea layer. Spread and let settle.The batter starts to thicken with time, so even it out using a greased spoon/spatula.
- Add the vanilla layer. and spread again.
- Add in the carrot layer. Spread it evenly and top with some blueberries and a little sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the Middle comes out clean.
- Let cool a little before removing from pan and slicing! The spices get richer after a few hours, if you can wait that is..:)
- Hope you all are having a super fun day! This cake is headed to Junia’s Cake Blog hop for the month of August. You dont want to miss the finger licking cake overload. Hop on by to Junia’s blog and get some #cakelove !
Also headed to Slightly indulgent Tuesday at Simply sugar and gluten free.