Rajma (Red Kidney bean curry) in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot. Rajma Masala. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Indian Recipe
We dont eat much Rajma at home… Gasp ! I know right. I am a Punjabi (North Indian), and we punjus pretty much live off Rajma and Chole/chana masala every other day.(Rajma: Red kidney beans curry and Chole: Garbanzo bean curry). And to think that hubbs doesn’t like Rajma.. Double gasp!
Yes, there are some very very few things in the world that he doesn’t like. He will eat it, but not with relish. Its all because he had enough Rajma in his 4 years in the college cafeteria, during undergrad.. Lets just say it was bad, watery, undercooked, bland(few more of his choice adjectives) enough to alter hubb’s preferences.
I do make Rajma once in while, with all sorts of dread. Sometimes I make the longer more authentic mom’s version and sometimes a quick version, but usually in limited quantities..:)
This recipe works on him most times, if served hot and spicy.
Quick Rajma (Red Kidney bean curry)
- In a pressure cooker or Instant Pot, add oil and heat on medium heat. Add onions.
- Cook until onions are translucent. Add in the spices, kashmiri garam masala, bay leaf, asofetida, chili, ginger, garlic and mix well for half a minute.
- Add in the chopped tomato and cook on medium low on stove top, partially covered with occasional stirring for 10-12 minutes, till tomatoes are mushy and leave the sides of the pan. (In the Instant pot, add a generous splash of water and stir frequently to cook until tomatoes are tender)
- Add in the lemon juice salt, sugar and red kidney beans and 1 cup of water for cooked and 1.5 cups of water for soaked kidney beans.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium high and 3 to 4 whistles on medium-low heat for uncooked soaked beans. (Manual 15 minutes for cooked/canned, 25 minutes for uncooked soaked beans, at high pressure.). Let the pressure release naturally. Mash some of the kidney beans with the spatula.
- Serve hot topped with lemon wedges, cilantro, garam masala and Rotis or Naans(flat breads) or fresh Basmati rice. Quick and fun everyday Kidney beans curry.