We dont eat much Rajma at home!.. Gasp !! I know! I am a Punjabi(North India), and we punjus pretty much live off Rajma and Chole/chana masala every other day.(Rajma: Red kidney beans curry and Chole: Garbanzo bean curry). And to think that hubbs doesnt like Rajma.. Double gasp!
Yes, there are some very very few things in the world that he doesnt like. He will eat it, but not with relish. Its all because he had enough Rajma in his 4 years in the college cafeteria, during undergrad.. lets just say it was bad, watery, undercooked, bland(few more of his choice adjectives) enough to alter the all eating hubbs' brain waves!
I do make Rajma once in while, with all sorts of dread. Sometimes I make the longer more authentic mom's version and sometimes a quick version, but usually in limited quantities..:)
This recipe works on him most times, if served hot and spicy!!. Hope you all like it.. Keep an eye for my mom's version later! Those neural pathways seem to be altering with every good Rajma event.. Some more and those happy pathways will get permanent.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and heat on medium heat. Add onions.
- Cook until onions are translucent. Add in the spices, kashmiri garam masala, asofetida, chili, ginger, garlic and mix well for half a minute.
- Add in the chopped tomato and cook on medium low, partially covered with occasional stirring for 10-12 minutes, till tomatoes are mushy and leave the sides of the pan.
- Add in the salt, sugar and red kidney beans and a 3/4 or 1 cup of water according to consistency you want for the curry. Adjust for salt and spice.
- Mash some of the kidney beans with the spatula and Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Serve hot topped with lemon wedges, cilantro, some more garam masala and Rotis or Naans(flat breads) or fresh Basmati rice! Quick and fun everyday Kidney beans curry.!
This quick curry is being shared with Ricki's wellness weekend! and to Allergy free Lunchbox Love and MLLA 39 at WhatwouldCathyEat , started by Susan