Hello there gorgeous Chana Masala for veganMofo Post 3! I posted a couple of variations of Chana Masala. With some variations here and there, this curry tastes different and fabulous! All the chana masala fans.. raise your hand! We call any curry with chickpeas/garbanzo beans ..Chole.. so you will find that reference on the blog a couple of times.
Garbanzo Beans/Chickpeas are an amazing source of a good number of minerals and protein. They have a good amount of fiber to help your digestive tract, unique supply of anti-oxidants, help with better regulation of blood sugar and increased chances of satiety and hence weight control. What more could you want from a bean and it is one versatile bean easily incorporated in so many cuisines.
Some more chana masala/chole recipes. Imli Chole (Sweet and sour Tamarind Garbanzo beans), Everyday Chole, Palak chole(Spinach and chickpea curry). Scroll down for your own home made Chana masala Spice blend!
- In a blender, add 3 medium chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chili, lemon juice, 1/4 can garbanzo beans(1/4 cup cooked chickpeas). Blend into a paste and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and onions.
- Cook until onions are translucent. Add in the spices, asofetida, chana masala blend and mix well.
- Add in the tomato puree and cook on medium low, partially covered with occasional stirring until the paste thickens and starts to leave oil (about 15 minutes)
- Add in the salt and remaining garbanzo beans and 1 to 1.5 cups water depending on your preference for thick or thin curry.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles. or cook covered until chickpeas are easily mashable.
- Let the pressure cooker release pressure by itself(5 minutes). Adjust salt. Add more chana masala blend and chili flakes per taste. Mix well.
- Serve hot topped with chopped onions, lemon wedges, cilantro and Rotis or Naans or Basmati Rice!
- No Pressure cooker: Use canned or slow cooker cooked chickpeas, or dry chickpeas soaked overnight. In a deep pan, make the tomato onion mixture as above. Add the chickpeas and 2 cups of water and cook for an hour or so, covered, until the chickpeas are tender. Mash some chickpeas and let cook for another 5-10 minutes uncovered. Adjust water for preferred consistency.
Chana Masala Spice blend/curry powder (Add to any chunky bean/lentil soup)!
- 1/4 teaspoon Hing/Asofoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Dry ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon green cardamom/elaichi powder
- 1 teaspoon Pomegranate seeds powder/Anardana, Or 1/2 teaspoon dry mango powder/Amchur
- 1/2 teaspoon rock salt/kala namak
- To Roast:
- 1 big Bay leaf/ Tej Patta
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander/dhania seeds
- 2 teaspoons Cumin/jeera seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel/Saunf
- 1/2 teapoons Black pepper corns/kali mirch dane or to taste
- 1/3 teaspoon clove/laung (3-4 cloves)
- 1 Dry red chili
- 1 stick Cinammon/dal chini or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoons Dry Fenugreek leaves (Kasturi methi) or 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
On a thick bottom pan dry roast ingredients one at a time on low-medium heat till you can smell their aroma and coriander seeds start to turn brown. Stir almost constantly. (3-5 minutes)
Cool this mix and grind with the other ingredients. Adjust the spice(chili), and sour(pomegranate seeds and rock salt) to taste. We add a bit more spice and mom adds another teaspoon of dry mango powder for a more sour masala blend.
Store in airtight container for a few months.