Everyday quick chole/ chana masala (garbanzo beans curry). Simple, healthy and delicious. Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Another variation of the chole recipe! I need to make some Rajma (red kidney beans curry) too again someday.. but hubbs is not a fan.. till then its going to garbanzo beans(chickpeas), black chickpeas, and black eyes peas curries ! Other chole recipes. palak chole, kadhai chole and another everyday chole !
Everyday Quick Chole/Chana Masala (Garbanzo Beans Curry)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 (0.5) medium onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) black pepper
- pinch of asofetida (hing)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 inch ginger chopped (can be substituted with ginger paste)
- 3-4 cloves (3 cloves) garlic peeled and chopped (can be substituted with garlic paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas (washed and drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) rock salt/black salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) raw sugar
- In a blender, add 3 medium chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic, fenugreek seeds, lemon juice, 1/4 can garbanzo beans. Blend into a paste and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and onions.
- Cook until onions are translucent. Add in the spices, asofetida, chili flakes and mix well.
- Add in the blended tomato and cook on medium low, partially covered with occasional stirring until the paste thickens and starts to leave oil (15 minutes)
- Add in the salt and remaining garbanzo beans and a cup or 2 of water according to how you want the curry.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Serve hot topped with chopped onions, lemon wedges, cilantro and Rotis or Naans!