2 in 1 post! Carrot almond cake and muffins and Carrot halwa (Fudgy Indian sweet) which is glutenfree! The cake and muffins are not glutenfree.
Carrot Halwa is one of the ubiquitous indian sweets at most festivals or even on regular days when carrots are in season. Back home, mom would get loads of carrots, sit and grate them and then put them for roasting with some ghee, milk and sugar.. and it would slow roast the whole day to a dark red brown and rich and shiny dense fudgy sweet. I make mine with coconut oil and almond meal instead of almond milk! Comes out super fine!
Pictured below are the baby cakes.
I made 2 baby cakes and 3 dozen muffins recently. The carrots are cooked a bit to resemble a partially done halwa and then made into cake/muffins. The carrot taste is more cooked, sweeter, and buttery. I should probably call these Carrot Halwa muffins!
Why did I make them this way.. coz I am lazy about grating the carrot by hand or using my bulky food processor.. and believe you me.. you will like these fudgy cakes even better!
For the cakes(2, 4 inch ramekins) I used,
1/2 cup self rising flour
2 Tbsps whole wheat pastry flour
2 Tbsps almonds
2 Tbsp oats
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp vegan butter
10 baby carrots
1/2 cup water
7 Tbsps raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder (substitute with fave spice if you dont like cardamom)
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice
pinch of nutmeg
For the 3 dozen mini muffins
1.75 cups self rising flour
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup almonds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
2 Tablespoons Organic canola oil
2 cups baby carrots or chopped carrots.
about 1 cup water (1/2 + 1/2)
1 cup raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1.5 teaspoon vinegar
raisins and cranberries
- Grind the almonds and keep aside or use almond flour. Grind oats with baking powder and salt and keep aside.
- Blend the carrots into a coarse puree with a little water(depends on your blender. I used about half a cup for 2 cups carrots). or grate then into thin fine strips. I pureed the carrots for both cake and muffins.
- In a pan, heat the coconut oil, melt and spread to cover the pan.
- Add in carrot puree, spices, Almond meal and sugar and mix well. Add in the raisins to the mixture at this point( I added 1/2 cup raisins for the muffins)
- Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes until the puree thicken a bit(depends in the quantity of the puree and water content).
- Take mixture off heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in vinegar, about 1/3 cup cold water for the cakes and 1/2 cup for the muffins, and canola oil and mix well. The mixture should be a runny sauce. (Add double the water if you grated the carrots and you cooked carrots are almost dry)
- Add in the flours and ground Oats and mix until just about combined. Drop mixture in mini muffin liners in muffin pan Or greased cake pan. Smooth the top and top the muffins with cranberries(pictured), raisins or jam.
- Bake at preheated 360 degrees F for 18-20 minutes for the mini muffins and 35-40 minutes for the cake pans or until the toothpick in the middle comes out clean.
Carrot Halwa: (glutenfree)
- For Carrot Halwa: Follow steps 1-4 from the cake directions above, with half the amount of sugar. (2 cups carrots, 1/3 cup freshly ground almond meal, 1/4 tsp cardamom powder, 2 Tbsps coconut oil and 1/2 cup raw sugar.)
- Keep cooking the carrot mixture on low heat stirring occasionally till it starts to leave the edges. About 45 minutes if using grated carrots, and an hour if carrots were pureed.
- Add some raisins and cashew pieces after 15 minutes of cooking and continue.
- Serve warm or cold or any way:). We usually serve it warm as dessert right after a meal.
The halwa comes out better with grated/shredded carrots. and cardamom is the spice of choice for this indian sweet.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Stop by my earlier post Green beans-2 ways for a list of my favorite vegan thanksgiving recipes and Menu ideas from around the web and a list from my archives.
Daily dose of mr fluff’s expressions… “I am comfortably sleeping in the comforter here.. do u mind?.. gaah.. no privacy in this house..”