First, Thank you all for all the support! I crossed 700 likes on my facebook page! yay. thank you for all the love to the Tiramisu pancakes.. which came about out of the happy memories of some happy events, celebrated with decadent Tiramisu in my prevegan days. I could make the whole dessert vegan too, but this came about as a quicker, and healthier idea! yay for some special breakfast!
I had to start experimenting with gluten free desert baking some day.. I made a gf quick bread, which was decent.. with breads and cakes you have to get a hang of the ratios, the new types of flours, xanthan or guar gum and such. Cookies are a bit simpler, they do not necessarily need binding gum.
These cookies came out fabulous! and dont taste much different than the regular oatmeal and wheat flour cookies! I added some puffed rice/rice krispies to the cookies to make them a bit more porous and crunchy. Brilliant idea... dont u think. You can tweak the recipe to make your own! and I hope you all like it.
Ingredients: makes 8-10 cookies
- 2/3 cup old fashioned oats ground.
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp guar gum (optional. I've made these without the gum and they comes out fine)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup puffed rice (murmura in hindi. cheap at an indian store)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon organic canola oil
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 3 Tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or other spices of choice
- In a bowl, mix the flaxmeal in 2 Tablespoons hot water and keep for 2 minutes.
- Add in 2 tablespoons hot water, coconut oil and canola oil and mix so the coconut oil melts a bit. (or melt the coconut oil separately and add)
- Add in the sugar, agave, spices, salt and lemon juice and mix well for 2 minutes using hand or electric mixer( I dont use the electric one, since the mixture doesnt need much fluffing up)
- Grind the 2/3 cup oats along with baking powder and guar gum, or use 1/2 cup oat flour and mix in the baking powder and guar gum powder. Add to wet mix.
- Coarsely grind the puffed rice/rice krispies, with just a few pulses to break the rice into smaller pieces. Add this to wet mix as well.
- Add the whole oats and chocolate chips and mix well to combine.
- Drop spoonfulls on parchment lined baking sheet. press down with oiled hand or spoon and shape a bit.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 12-14 minutes. Cool on rack and enjoy!
These cookie are headed to Hearth and soul blog hop and Simply sugar and gluten free's Slightly indulgent tuesdays. and Ricki's wellness weekend, and gf edible holiday gifts
On another note, please do send a prayer our way.. this week has been a taxing one with young and fit near and dear ones falling under the c word.. now on their long road to recovery.