Tiramisu Cookies. vegan glutenfree

You cant blame me for Tiramisu-ing any possible thing in sight. After the delicious pancakes, its time to tiramisu a cookie! These are Somewhat Tiramisu whoopie pies, crunchy with a coffee caramel center. The crunchy Cashew Oat cookies are almost a macaron, filled with a creamy coffee caramel. I used rum in this version, but there is only so much rum I can add without changing the texture. There is a hint of the liquor in the cookie, which is fine by me.. But to get a more Tiramisu-y taste, use extract instead of the liquor. Rum, coffee or amaretto extract will work really well.

I saw these on spicyperspective and had to veganize an put my spin on them. I also made the cookies glutenfree. Used oats and brown rice flour. If you dont have brown rice flour or dont have a problem with gluten, use whole wheat pastry flour.
For lots more cookies check out the Cookies collection here.

Ingredients: Makes 5-6 pies(10-12 individual cookies)
1/2 cup Oats flour (ground Oats)
1/4 cup ground raw Cashews
2 Tablespoon brown rice flour (or use whole wheat pastry flour/all purpose)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
Wet:
1.5 Tablespoons organic canola oil
1.5 Tablespoons warm water
1 teaspoon flaxmeal
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vinegar
1 Tablespoon rum(or use 1/2 tsp rum extract)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 Tablespoons raw sugar or equivalent sweetener(a Tbsp more if you like the cookies sweeter)

Caramel cream:
3 Tablespoons raw or brown sugar
2 Teaspoons water
1.5-2 Tablespoons Coconut creamer or thick non dairy Cream(I used So Delicious hazelnut coconut)
1/2 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon or more instant coffee
2 teaspoons rum/amaretto or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract

In a bowl mix all the wet ingredients for the cookie and flaxmeal until sugar is well combined and keep for 2 minutes.
In another bowl, mix/whisk the dry ingredients well. Add in the dry ingredients and mix to get a soft dough. Add more oats flour if needed. Chill the dough covered for 5 minutes.
(A good rum extract has worked best for me for these cookies and the filling. I use this extract)
Oil hands and make balls. Flatten them on parchment. bake at pre-heated 350 degrees F for 12-14 minutes(depends on size of the cookie). Will make 12 small cookies.
Dont let the cookies overbake to a brown. The cookies are done when the tops are not jiggly.
Let cool on rack.
Meanwhile, make the caramel filling.
In a pan, mix the water and sugar and keep cooking on medium till the sugar syrup gets thick and turns a good shade of brown.(5-7 minutes)
Keep the other ingredients mixed and warm. Taste and add more coffee if needed. Add the warm mix slowly to the caramel to get a creamy mixture. Take off heat as soon as the mixture is well combined and starts to boil.
Apply the cream between 2 cookies and let cool before biting in. Sprinkle some cocoa powder on top.
You can also add a few chocolate chips to the caramel when still hot. Too much chocolate though will mask the coffee flavor.
For a creamier softer filling, add a little vegan cream cheese to the caramel and whip it, then spoon in between the cookies. Fill cookies only before serving is using cream cheese.
If the filling doesnt have cream cheese, then the cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.

Did anyone else wonder why Angelina tried so hard to get that leg out there yesterday! :)

Want More Delicious Recipes to Your Inbox?

Comments

Yes. just double everything. you might need a bit more flour to get a workable dough. also i had some cream left in this batch. you can make more cream as needed.

Yum, sounds like an amazing cookie! And I love how you turned the word tiramisu into a verb haha…(ps. I didn’t get the whole thing with Angelina’s leg either, I thought she looked ridiculous!)

I’ve embarrassed myself in public before by making really loud “yummy” sounds eating Tiramisu, so I think I should just eat these at home!

Does it matter what type of oats I use {regular, quick cooking, steel cut oats …} and would roasted / salted cashews be OK or did you use raw?

So glad I dropped in, I’m your newest follower.

Robin
    happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

Thank you for the follow Robin. I used old fashioned, i dont think it would matter which oats.
      I used Raw Cashews. The roasted ones will give it a very nutty taste and maybe darker appearance Let me know when you try them!

whoohoo for gluten free vegan tiramisu cookies! i am loving this gluten free trend that you are on. have you been feeling better lately? i bet your hubby is enjoying all these new recipes too! have a great day richa!

Thanks Junia.. not really much of a difference.:) we eat enough wheat everyday.. so by making some of these snacks gf, it just adds more grains/nuts to the daily intake:) hubbs of course doesnt mind my gf creations if they dont taste too different!:)

thanks richa… though i am good in indian food and breads, i freeze when i see or when i have to make such perfect cookies filled with creamy delights or those rich pastries/cakes decorated with lovely icings.

but i plan to make these. i do not have rum, so will add wine to both the cookies and the cream. i will also use milk cream to make the filling.

I just made tiramisu cupcakes this weekend so these will go perfectly with my sweet tooth! :) They look perfect, Richa! And congrats on the blog nomination!!! Woo-hoo. Voting!

oooooooh cupcakess.. i would love some misu cup cakes!! yep, these work very well for the sweet tooth! people at hubbs office have now started stealing from his home made cookie and snack bar stash which he keeps on his desk(for his snacking). i have asked him to put a note on the bowl saying suggested $ donation per 2 cookies:D.
      thanks for the vote Cara! Hugs!

Cookies sound delightful!!

And, the only thing ms. jolie has going for her IS her leg…oh, and her signifcant other…but, he backed out of camera range during her leg demo. (IMO) :D

Thanks. the measure is for ground cashews. so its 1/4 cup of powdered cashew. both ways though it will not make much of a difference.. Do let me know when u try them!

Cashewnuts and oats? Killer combination…these must have been so crunchy and gooey…they look so good. Like a cross between a macaron and a s’more, and I mean that in the best way possible :)

something went wrong with these :( I grounded my own bronw rice flour, I have no idea if this is the problem, but the cookies did not really rise at all and there is an annoying crunshy texture, I suppose coming from the rice. either commercial flour is quite different than home-prepared or the dough was too dry?

probably the problem with the flour. the commericlal flour is ground very fine. if the home ground version was more like a meal then that explains the texture. it probably also absorbed a lot more liquid. if the cookies probably did not rise because of the same reason or maybe the baking powder was too old.
      the brown rice flour will give a crunchy texture to the cookies. they are crisp cookies like sugar cookies. you can use other flours. use more of the oat or cashew flour or white rice or cornstarch.

When I initially commented I applear to have clicked on tthe -Notify me when new
    comments are added- checkbox and from nnow on whenever a comment is added I recieve
    four emails with the exact same comment. Ther has
    to be a means you are able to remove me from that service?

Thanks a lot!