A simple side salad today. Grated beet and carrots , spiced up with a mustard seeds and chili tadka. Served as is or mixed in with non dairy yogurt. It makes for a pretty and delicious side with any meal. Read about the anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, detox and other health benefits of Beets here.
You can add other crunchy veggies like Jicama, celery, radish and more. Adjust the taste to make your own, add lemon juice or zest for a sour version, some yogurt for a cooling version to serve with other spicy dishes.
What else to do with Beets? Make a pretty Smoothie, a Burger patty , or candy some make Cookies!
For a limited time(10 days from now, you can watch the full Film Hungry for Change here. You will need to give an email id to get access. Learn more about the food, diet and all the big corporate industries. Watch the Trailer here without registration.
1 medium Beet grated(raw or roasted/boiled beet)
5-6 baby carrots grated or chopped small
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
a generous pinch of raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
a generous pinch of black pepper or red chili powder
1 teaspoon organic canola oil
a generous pinch of asofoetida(hing) (or use garlic powder if you dont have hing)
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 green chili slit or to taste
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
Crushed roasted peanuts or shredded coconut.
Grate beet and carrots. Add salt, sugar, lemon juice and pepper. Mix well and keep in a bowl.
In a small pan, add oil, heat on medium.
Add mustard seeds when the oil is hot.
Let the mustard seeds start to pop, then add asofoetida and chili.
Cook for half a minute, stir the chili so it cooks on all sides.
Pour this into the beet bowl.
Mix well. Top with Cilantro, peanuts/coconut. Serve.
- Add some non dairy yogurt into the beet bowl. Mix and serve. It will look like thick deep pink Raita.(Indian Yogurt dip side). I used So Delicious Plain coconut milk yogurt.
- Add cumin seeds instead of mustard seeds to the tempering.
- If you dont like the raw Beet taste, then add the grated beet and carrot to the tempering pan after adding green chili. Mix well and cook covered on low for 4-5 minutes. Stir 2-3 times in between. Or use roasted or boiled beet.
This Koshimbir is heading to Prerna's Indian Food Palooza at IndianSimmer.
And to Slighlty Indulgent Tuesdays, Hearth and soul blog hop, Allergry Free Wednesday, Glutenfree Wednesday, Ricki's Wellness Weekend, Allergy friendly friday, Ella's Virtual potluck, Cybele's Allergy Friendly Friday
And now, A small Giveaway to celebrate all the blog love and inching towards a 2k fans on the Facebook Page! Thank you all so much for the love and support. That is what keeps me going!
2 coupons for free SoDelicious Dairy Free products! Be it their non dairy, gluten-free, coconut or almond milks, the delicious creamy ice creams, the Yogurts(which I am currently devouring everyday) and many more. Giveaway ends on Sunday March 25th midnight PST.
1. Mandatory entry: Please leave me a comment on this post. Also leave me a way to contact you (email / twitter/blog url)
2. Like the blog's Facebook page, if you like what you see on the blog:). If you already like me on Facebook, then let me know as a separate comment. This is not necessary:).
Hope you all are having a great week!