Crystallized Beet Multigrain Thins. Delicious, pink vegan cookies made with beet syrup and crystallized beet chunks, so delicious! Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
You heard it right. These are pink cookies because of beet syrup. There are some crystallized beet chunks in these thin crisp cookies too!
These pink beauties have some wheat flour, oats and quinoa flour for a fun crunch too! And you thought I would make white flour cookies!:) I am on a Oat and Quinoa roll.. All that protein from Quinoa and all the vitamins, minerals, fiber and anti-oxidants from Oats !! And lets not forget folate and phytonutrients from Beet!
Pack these glowing rosy thins(well a bit thick thins) for a rewarding snack or mail them out to a loved one! I am loving them veggies in cookies and cakes.. hmm maybe a green cookie with baby greens next?…:)
Crystallized Beet Multigrain Thins. Vegan Cookie.
Crystallized Beet Multigrain Thins. Delicious, pink vegan cookies made with beet syrup and crystallized beet chunks, so delicious! Vegan Recipe.
Servings: 8 -9 servings
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium beet (peeled and chopped into 1/8 inch cubes)
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 4 tablespoon raw sugar or jaggery (raw granulated sugar is usually sweeter than powdered sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoons flax meal
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1-2 tablespoons (1 tablespoons) Raw turbinado sugar or jaggery or sweetener of choice (I used 1 Tbsp for mild sweetness.)
- 3 tablespoons sugar syrup (beet syrup)
- 1 tablespoon roasted Cashew butter (Homemade nut butter recipes)
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil or vegan butter like Earth Balance
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.13 teaspoon) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) baking powder
- 1 tablespoons quinoa (blended coarsely or quinoa flour ( or use oats coarse flour, if you don't have quinoa)
- 3 tablespoons oat flour (Bob’s Red Mill Organic Old Fashioned)
- 1/2 cup (62.5 g) self rising flour
- 1/3 cup (40 g) whole wheat pastry flour
- In a pan, add a cup of water and bring to a boil. Add the sugar, and mix well. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add in the chopped beet, cinnamon, ginger powder and cook on low heat for 30-40 minutes or until the syrup thickens and starts to bubble up and just about starts to crystallize.
- I got about 5 Tablespoons of thick syrup with beet in it. You can remove the beet pieces and coat them with powdered sugar and keep refrigerated for a few weeks. I left them in the syrup, since I was going to use them within the next few days.
- I used about 2/3 of the this mixture for the cookies, that is 3 Tablespoons of the syrup with beet pieces.
- The remaining syrup went in some multigrain pancakes, which turned out an amazing. pink, fluffy with them fun beet chunks! My multigrain pancake recipe here.
- In a bowl, mix the flax meal and hot water and let sit for a minute.
- Add in the room temperature cashew butter, coconut oil, sugar and beet syrup(without the beet pieces) and mix well by hand or by hand mixer until the mixture feels light. The cashew butter I used is store bought and it takes a while to mix up. Mix and let sit for a few minutes and then mix again.
- Blend/grind the quinoa and oats to a coarse flour along with the baking powder and keep aside.
- To the oil and sugar mix, add in the ground quinoa, ground oats, salt, wheat pastry flour, self rising flour, beet pieces and lemon juice and mix till just about combined. Add in more wheat flour if needed to get gooey muffin mixture kind of consistency. If you added too much flour, the mixture will get too stiff, then add in a teaspoon oil and/or lemon juice to make it gooey. Keep this mixture more flowy and gooey, more like a thick batter and unlike the oat cookie dough, where the mixture is slightly stiff.
- Oil a spoon and pick up tablespoons full batter-y dough, drop them and flatten on parchment paper. Thinner the better.! Shape with oiled hands.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 11-14 minutes(add minutes depending on the thickness of the cookie). The cookies should not be runny or liquidy when done and just about starting to brown on the edges.
- Take cookies off baking tray and cool on rack for a few minutes if you can:)
- Store in airtight container for a week or so. Let me know how yours turn out! Have a fun Tuesday!
Nutritional value is based on 1 serving
Crystallized Beet Multigrain Thins. Vegan Cookie.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 146 Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin C 0.4mg0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Pinkin Pinkin. blushing Pinkin!
Some fun cookies posted earlier..
The famous Chocolate Oat Raisin Cookie and Quinoa Oatmeal Raisin cookies(popcorn cookies as hubbs calls them)!
These cookies are headed to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays , Ricki’s wellnes weekend and Hearth and Soul Bloghop, and Food Palette series-rainbow at torviewtoronto.
As you can see I was trying different compositions and styles to work with the pink.. And now I dont know which ones look best! Let me know which ones get your eyes and mouth working!