Baked Potato French Fries. vegan glutenfree recipe.

Right in time for Friday! Lots of baked tato options! To serve as a side with your veggie burgers or eat the whole plate as is. Its potatoes.. they are baked, they are good for you;) well atleast gooder than fried ones.

Chewie’s birthday is coming up! He is our adopted baby, who went from shelter to rescue to adoptive home, then back to rescue then came to our home and marked the entire place (dog owners will know what I mean;)..What do you think I should do to celebrate.. a birthday cause or sell some cafepress tees with Chewie on them :) . He plays with only some dogs, is civil to most. On the other hand, he loves all humans, loves to meet everyone and loves to get petted. the only humans he will growl at are a few really huge ones with hoodies or gadgets(I have no clue why).
These fries are inspired by Cadry’s French Fries are her secret. It feels like a potato kind of week right. Fries after the Samosa French Toasts. You can find more Savory Snack options here.
The pictured fries are Cilantro, garlic, black salt, black pepper, chili powder.
Serves 1 :)
1 large Russet
2 teaspoons organic canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
a generous pinch teaspoon chili powder
a generous pinch
2 Tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
Scrub the potato and cut into not more than and 1/4 inch thick wedges/fries.
Add to a big bowl, add oil and spices and toss well.
Spread out the wedges on a parchment lined baking sheet in single layer.
Bake in preheated 420 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Turn the tray and bake for another 5-10 minutes until golden or crisp to your preference.
Serve hot!
Its potato wedges! You can do any number of variations..
My other Variations :
1. Garam masala or Chaat masala fries.. Seriously, you cant beat some chili powder and garam masala on crisp potatoes.
2. Thyme and parsley. Some fresh thyme and parley from out garden, liberally added to the potatoes before baking and then also used to garnish when baked. perfection!
4. Green chili, asafoetida, turmeric and curry leaves. Its Tadka fries! Make the tempering with a Tablespoon of oil, 1-2 green chilies finely chopped. a generous ping of asafoetida(hing), turmeric and roughly chopped curry leaves. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the chili is crisp. Add to freshly baked wedges. Serve hot!
These spicy disappearing wedges are being shared at Ricki’s wellness weekend, Ella’s potluck, Amees Fit and fab Friday.
Peeps in the Northwest! Old Dog Haven is having a walk to raise money for Senior dogs. they are an amazing group who provide home, treatment and love to all seniors.
JOIN US FOR THE WALK FOR OLD DOGS
Sunday, July 22, 2012 12noon until 3:00pm — Bellevue Downtown Park
Find more at Old Dog Haven
See you all there. I will most probably have a bunch of cookies for you.

Comments

Nothing beats baked french fries! Yours look super good and I like the suggestion for the garam masala fries! That’s definitely going to happen!

Have a great weekend, Richa, and have fun at the dog walk! Wish I could join you! :-)

today is my pup’s second “gotcha day”! i love celebrating her birthday and gotcha day. happy birthday to chewie!

and, by the way, i love these baked fries! i make a similar version for dayv several times a week, but will try these tonight!

Love baked french fries… I usually parboil them before baking to get them really crispy and just read that soaking the poatoe strips in ice cold water for 10-15 minutes before baking too gives great results…

i see you getting creative with your photos. really good photos richa. i have made baked potatoes but i don’t like them.

i used to think i am doing something wrong. but checked some sites and the method i follow is the same.

it is not crispy on the outside and tender inside like the fried ones. the bakes ones are always a bit hard and chewy. i prefer the fried potatoes any day.

creative with pictures= took too many pictures since i couldnt figure out what was working :)

The Russet potato ones come out crisp, but yes they are a bit tender inside. I dont feel good in the tummy if i eat too many fried fries:) and baked means no standing in the kitchen!:)

Thanks for the mention! My mouth is watering at the thoughts of your french fry variations. The garam masala and chili powder option sounds especially good. I have to try that next time!

Okay, let’s talk about 2 things: 1). French fries are the food of the gods and I could dine with deity for days. I will gladly eat these ALL; and 2). Those ketchup squirts are putting the biggest smile on my face :)

Thanks Heather! I cant live without some spice on mine. you should see my mom eating some.. those are loaded with green chilies and red chili powder!

Aw, happy birthday to Chewie! We have a cat that has a tendency to “mark”–he has a recurring urinary tract issue, so there’s not much we can do about it. But for all the love they give us, we can put up with our pets little quirks, right? :)

These fries look perfect! I love the idea of adding garam masala.