Salted Date Caramel, Chocolate Pie with Almond Coconut Crust. Vegan Glutenfree No Bake

This is a frozen pie. This is an insanely delicious pie. This is what should be in your freezer for the weekend!

So what is in it. A thick fudgy salted caramel layer without any refined sugar! Dates and nut butter make the caramel layer sweet and rich. A thick mousse-y chocolate layer on top and a chocolatey almond coconut hemp crust at the bottom. mmm, mmmm, mmmmmm. The pie can also be made raw with raw chocolate.

I know right. You have got to make this summer treat. I am telling you the pictures do not do justice to how good this is. This pie can be made into bars as well.

Vegan Salted Caramel Pie | Vegan Richa

I recently added amazon affiliate store to the blog. The store has things I use like pantry items, all the lentils, beans, flours, vegan dog supplies, vegan and non animal tested personal items, my favorite cookbooks, and so on. check it out! I get a teeny amount when you buy from the store, which will be donated as does the ad revenue I make from the blog. :)

More desserts that you need to make this summer.
Chocolate Chip pudding Pie with almond date crust. GF soy-free
Dark Chocolate Silk Pie with chocolate crust. GF soy-free
No bake single Serve Chocolate Berry Pie. GF, soy-free

Steps:
Make the crust and press into pie pan, tart pan or other square or rectangle pan if making bars.

Make the caramel and pour into crust.

Even it out. Melt the chocolate in coconut milk.

Briskly Whisk in the almond butter, maple and pour on the caramel layer. Freeze.

Freeze until set, then slice and serve. This Vegan Salted Caramel Pie!

The pie stays soft even when frozen. Keeps well for a few weeks if it really will last that long.
yumm!

Salted Date Caramel, Chocolate Mousse Pie with Almond Coconut Crust
Allergen Information: Free of dairy, egg, corn, soy, gluten, yeast.

Makes a 9 inch pie or tart panIngredients:
Crust:
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp almonds
2 Tbsp hemp seeds (or use coconut flakes)
2 Tbsp flax seed meal or hemp seeds or coconut flakes
1.5 Tbsp cocoa powder (omit for less chocolatey pie:))
3/4 cup coconut flakes, small flakes
1/8 tsp salt
8 soft medjool dates
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp or more almond milk

Salted Caramel Layer:
1 cup soft medjool dates, 11 dates (soaked in hot water for 15 minutes)
2 Tbsp almond butter or other nut butter
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup almond milk or other non dairy milk
1/4 tsp fine sea salt (less for less salty caramel)

Chocolate Mousse layer:
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
1 3 oz bar 70% dark Theo chocolate or about 2/3 cup vegan semi sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp almond butter
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup maple syrup

Soak the dates, for the salted caramel layer in hot water, so they soak for the 15 minutes while you make the crust and topping.
Crust: Process the almonds until coarse meal in a food processor or blender. Add seeds, cocoa, dates, 1/4 cup coconut flakes, salt and pulse until the dates are incorporated well. Add the rest of the coconut flakes, vanilla, maple, almond milk and process until doughy. Add more almond milk or maple if needed and mix a bit your hands. Press the dough onto the pan. You can also make this into bars. Press the dough into a parchment linked 9 by 5 inch or smaller rectangle pan. For variations: Use more almonds or coconut to replace the seeds.
Salted Caramel:
Drain the soaked dates. Puree all te ingredients+soaked dates listed under salted caramel to combine into a smooth puree. blend for a couple of cycles so the dates blend well. Taste and adjust sweet and salt(add maple or stevia if you like it sweeter). Spread on the crust.
Chocolate mousse:
Heat coconut milk until it just about starts to bubble and add to a bowl. Add the chocolate and whisk to melt. Briskly whisk in the rest of the ingredients to aerate the mixture. Pour onto the caramel. Tap the pan to spread evenly.
Freeze until set (a few hours), then slice and serve! The pie stays soft and well for weeks kept frozen. Cover the pie pan and freeze so that the top layer doesn’t dry out.

Comments

I have a bunch of dates and am wondering if I could just make the date caramel for a spread. Do you think it would last? I’d be willing to freeze it, too.

yeah. if you are going to use the next day then just refrigerate it. else freeze, thaw and use. add more maple/stevia for a sweeter caramel.

Richa–first off, thank you so much for sharing this! It’s rare I find a recipe I fall in love with so quickly, but this one is definitely pinned and on my list of recipes to try out for the blog. I’m also just incredibly grateful I stumbled across your blog on FG because I love the authenticity of your blog, mission, and recipes. You have a great way of making your food stand out, and I definitely look forward to staying in touch in the future!

THIS RIGHT HERE. incredible. I can’t get over it. Really. this looked so amazing. I love date caramel anything. You are awesome.
    Pinning!

this looks beyond decadent, but the ingredients are so wholesome. that’s why you rock so hard, lady. you just really know how to do it all and not feel guilty about your indulgences.

5. Anonymous says

Hi Richa,
    I am bit skeptical to try salted caramel recipes. How does it taste? I have heard salt enhances the flavor of sweets. Is it that type of saltiness or much more salty than that?
    Thanks

you can omit the salt. it will taste like plain caramel sauce. or add just a little and taste before adding more. it does enhance the flavor of the sweet. but it is a personal taste preference. so you can blend without the salt and maybe add a tiny pinch in a tbsp of the sauce to taste before adding all.

6. Anonymous says

I love everything about this recipe and plan to make it for Father’s Day, but Hubby is not a big fan of coconut texture. Do you think I could just omit the coconut flakes, or should I substitute something else (nuts, seeds?) Thanks!

you can pulse the coconut flakes a bit more and they won’t even register as flakes. They get mixed into the crust in this recipe, and the crust feels like just nuts and dates. If you do want to eliminate it, then use more almonds or cashews.

7. Anonymous says

I made this today for Father’s Day, and my family flipped over it! Honestly, I’ve never seen them all take seconds, and thirds, until every last bite was gone. And they loved that it’s all real ingredients, no flour, no dairy. I did grind up the coconut to hide the texture, and I subbed almond milk on the topping. Even so, it is rich and decadent and a keeper! Will definitely make again. Thanks so much!

8. Judi Scharff says

I made this for my hubby for our 50th wedding anniversary! Thanks for such a delicious vegan treat!!!

9. Anonymous says

Two questions: If anyone has measured the almonds after pulsing them to find out what the equivalent would be in almond meal, please share that information? I tried to look up equivalents online, but it said 7/8 cup whole almonds equals 1 cup almond flour. That doesn’t make sense to me. If anyone has used chopped dates, did it turn out okay and what kind of measurement did you use?

I made this for a Father’s Day dessert and it was frickin’ awesome!! It is NOW my GO-TO dessert for our Vestal Vegan pot luck and any other excuse I can come up with to make it.

11. Anonymous says

I want to try making this tonight. It looks so good! Is coconut flakes just like dessicated coconut? And if I don’t have almond butter can I use normal butter? Thanks!

its dry desiccated coconut. you can use fresh as well. butter will not work. nut butters have a lot more density. you can use other nut butter. you can make your own in a blender with almonds, peanuts or cashew. blend with a little oil till they become creamy.

12. Corrin Radd says

Made this for breakfast today (I left off the chocolate layer) and we loved it. I didn’t want to wait for it to freeze, so I dissolved some agar in hot soymilk and it set up nicely.

13. Sarah S. says

I just wanted to thank you for being so willing to answer questions and requests for substitution ideas. My husband can’t eat coconut, and based on your answers to other questions, I have a plan in place! So, thanks!

14. Louise says

I have a question about the salted caramel…

You say to purée everything under salted caramel, what does that mean?
    Is that a typo?
    Looking forward to making this for the weekend!
    Look delish!
    I’m sure it’ll be a hit:)

L

15. Alma says

Hello and thanks.
    I put it in the freezer about 1,5 hr ago and the rest of the family can´t wait to taste.
    How long is the minimal time in the freezer ??
    Cheers
    a

16. Jess says

This sounds amazing and can’t wait to try it!
    Just a dumb question sorry.. It says 1 cup medjool dates, 11 dates.
    Does this mean 1 cup of dates plus 11 more dates?
    Or do you mean 1 cup equals to 11 dates?
    Thanks