Look what I found in the drafts. I was transferring the photographs from the machine. They eat up so much space :). And found these.
I love lentils in and on anything, and Tacos are a perfect way to eat more. Change up the beans from your regular Tacos with these smoky lentils. Easier on the tummy, quicker to prep. Top with salsa, guacamole or sliced avocado.
Serve the lentils as a Stew, on a salad, top a pizza or make a sloppy sandwich. Use seasonal squash or other veggies instead of sweet potato.
More Mexican inspired goodies from the blog. Mostly all soy and gluten free.
Pulled Butternut Squash tacos.
Spanish rice, buffalo tempeh wraps
Chipotle Refried Beans Pizza
Nacho Mac and Cheese Casserole
Cook onions, add spices, lentils and then sweet potatoes. Cook until tender.
You can use the lentils to top a salad, tacos, pizza or anything else.
Add salsa, jalapenos, cilantro, avocado and other toppings of choice.
Lentil and Sweet Potato Tacos
Allergen Information: Free of Dairy, egg, soy, nut, yeast. Gluten-free with glutenfree Taco shells.
Makes 8-10 Tacos
1/2 cup dry lentils
1.5 cups water
1 sweet potato or yam, cubed (1-1.5 cups)
1/2 medium red onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1 Tablespoon Tomato paste or 1/2 a large ripe tomato finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper or 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder or cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
1/2 teaspoon dry basil
3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
a generous dash of black pepper
1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce(optional)
1-2 teaspoon lime juice
Hard or soft Tacos
Finely chopped Lettuce or cabbage
Salsa of choice (I used pico de gallo)
avocado, jalapenos, etc
1. Soak the lentils for half an hour. Chop up the potatoes, get the ingredients ready. Drain the lentils, wash and keep ready.
2. In a deep pan, add oil and heat on medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden.(5 to 6 mins)
3. Add all the spices, herbs, salt, tomato paste/tomato and mix well. Cook for a minute. (2-3 minutes if using a tomato)
4. Add the washed lentils and water. Mix, cover and cook on low-medium heat for 15 minutes.
5. Add the cubed sweet potato, Sriracha, mix and cook covered for another 15-25 minutes until lentils and sweet potato are tender and all liquid is absorbed.
6. Add lime juice. taste and adjust for salt and spice. Add a dash of liquid smoke for extra smokyness.
If using canned/pre-cooked lentils or black beans: Add cubed Sweet potato and 1/4 cup water to the onion, spices, tomato mixture(step 3). Mix, cover and cook for 15 minutes at medium heat. Add drained lentils/beans and salt(depends on if the lentils are salted or not), mix and cook covered until sweet potato cubes are tender.
Warm the Tacos, then Load them with Lettuce, warm lentil mixture, then fresh Salsa, avocado is using, Cilantro and lime juice.
Variations: Serve the lentils as a Stew, on a salad, top a pizza or make a sloppy sandwich. Use seasonal squash or other veggies instead of sweet potato.