Summer has brought out the bowl person in me, In general I prefer a bowl of steaming spicy chana masala with rice or flatbread most days. But all the heat and spice when the temps are in the 90s means another hour to cool down after the meal. So a cooler chana masala bowl today.
Spice the chickpeas with chana masala spice blend, use some of the chickpeas to make a creamy chickpea dressing like a hummus dressing but with Indian spices! Add roasted veggies, spiced beans or other veggies like broccoli or cauliflower, crunchy greens, avocado, salt and pepper and done. Make it spicy to preference and serve warm or cold. The dressing is oil-free. Rest of the bowl ingredients can also be made oil-free. Get some chana masala spice blend from the Indian store or online, or make the spice blend from scratch. Chana masala spice blend a bit different from garam masala. It is sour and earthy.
More Bowls and chickpeas recipes. all soy-free
- Chickpea Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Smoky Tomato Sauce. GF option
- Roasted Masala Chickpeas GF
- Curried Kidney Beans, Quinoa, Roasted Zucchini, Mango Salsa Bowl GF
- Curried Chickpea Rice Pulao – One Pot Pilaf GF
- Moroccan Chickpea Cauliflower Bowl with Herb sauce. GF option
- Chana Masala. GF
Reads for the day. Major US cities make it mandatory for pet stores to only sell rescues and shelter animals. Finally!
Dog racing is set to end in Texas. finally.
400 Million fewer animals were killed for food in 2014, because everyone is eating less meat.
- 2 15 oz cans of chickpeas or 3 cups cooked, divided
- ½ tsp oil (optional)
- ½ tsp salt (less if the chickpeas were salted)
- ½ tsp or less cayenne
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp garlic
- ½ tsp Chana Masala spice blend a or use garam masala + ⅛ tsp kala namak (Indian black salt)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1.5 cups of chopped green beans
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala or other spice blend
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp water
- ½ cup chickpeas (from above)
- ½ to ⅔ cup non dairy milk
- ⅓ tsp salt
- ¾ to 1 tsp chana masala spice blend
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp garlic
- ⅛ to ¼ tsp kala namak or use lemon juice to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- ¼ tsp or more sugar or use maple syrup to taste
- Sliced grilled zucchini
- Chopped juicy tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- crisp greens or lettuce
- brown rice or other cooked grains
- Avocado (optional)
- Drain and wash the chickpeas. Remove ½ cup chickpeas and keep aside.
- Combine the remaining chickpeas, oil and spices and water in a skillet over medium heat. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add a dash of lemon juice. If you have amchoor (dry mango powder) add ¼ to ½ tsp amchoor. Cover and let sit for a few minutes before transferring to serving bowl..
- In the same or different skillet, combine the green beans, salt, garlic, garam masala, ketchup and water. Mix. Cover and cook over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender to preference.
- Blend the ½ cup of chickpeas with the rest of the ingredients under chickpea cream sauce until well blended. Taste and adjust salt, spice, sweet. Add more salt or spice blend if needed and adjust the non dairy milk to get preferred dressing consistency. The sauce should be slightly sweet, slightly sour, with an undertone of chana masala spice blend.
- Layer the bowl with the spicy chickpeas, green beans, greens of choice, roasted or raw veggies of choice, brown rice and a generous drizzle of the chickpea cream sauce. serve warm or cold. Sprinkle salt, pepper and lemon juice if needed.