Vegetable Carrot Fried Rice with Indian spices and shredded Carrots. 30 minute Carrot Veggie Brown Rice Pilaf. Colorful flavorful side for Easter or Holidays. Vegan Glutenfree Soyfree Recipe. Pin this Recipe!
Spring is in the air. Seriously it is. Sneezing and watery eyes all around. Easter calls for a load of sweet carrot stuff. For a change, make this savory carrot pilaf!
This spiced Indian style fried rice has toasted nuts, veggies, spices of course, and grated carrots. The grated carrots look like orange rice grains and look super pretty. Use any spices you have and add herbs and flavor of choice. This rice can be served by itself with a dash of lemon or chutney/dressing or served as a side pilaf with curries, or gravy. I use brown rice in the pilaf, use any rice or other cooked grains of choice.
More Carrot and Spring Recipes from the blog:
- Cabbage Carrot Pacankes – Okonomiyaki
- Carrot Peanut Soup
- Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Asparagus Basil soup.
- Smoky Asparagus Tofu Spring Scramble
I have this thing with most brown rice. a- It just doesn’t sit well with my tummy, and b- seems to overpower the dish. I mean the flavors disappear by the time one is done chewing the darn rice! Thankfully, I did not let that get in the way of trying my own ways to use brown rice. I prefer Brown Basmati (long or short grain) rice. It cooks faster and softer. Well cooked and well spiced like this pilaf and you will be in love.
- ¼ cup chopped raw cashews or other nuts.
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves (optional)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- ½ inch knob ginger finely chopped
- 1 hot green chile or use cayenne to taste later
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, small florets
- 1 cup packed or more grated or shredded Carrots
- ½ to ¾ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp garam masala or curry powder or use ground cumin + coriander
- ¼ to ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ cup packed chopped baby greens
- ½ cup other quick cooking veggies of choice such as a mix of zucchini, peas, bell pepper
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 to 3 tbsp water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ¾ tsp or more salt
- lemon juice and cilantro for garnish
- Dry roast the nuts on a skillet until lightly golden and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. when the oil is hot, add cumin and mustard seeds and let them cook until they change color considerably or start to pop. Add the curry leaves, onion, garlic, ginger, chili and pinch of salt. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the cauliflower and mix. cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and a splash of water. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add the spices and mix in for a few seconds. Add the greens and veggies, ketchup and a splash of water. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked al dente or to preference. .
- Add the cooked rice, salt and roasted nuts and toss well. Taste and adjust salt and heat. Add more salt and cayenne if needed. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Garnish with a liberal drizzle of lemon juice, some garam masala and cilantro and serve. Serve as is , or with dal, curries or a drizzle of avocado cream (blended avocado lemon cilantro salt and pepper), or with mint chutney.
Posts pulling at my heart strings this week:
Survivors of Michael Vick’s fighting ring grow old and happy.– 51 Pit bulls rescued from Michael vick’s dog fighting ring, the first fighting dogs to be saved from death row. (they would normally all be euthanized). They were rehabilitated, learnt the meaning of normal life. Some of them are service dogs, some work with sick children, they have boundless love. #onions
The Life of Tillikum the Whale: For 30 years, Tilikum has been committed to an asylum of despair and deprivation. In Victoria, Tilikum was placed in a 100-by-50-foot pool only 35-feet deep, trained with food deprivation techniques. Forced to do eight shows a day, seven days a week, Tilikum developed stomach ulcers at a very young age. She is nearing the end of her tragic life because of chronic health issues.