Vegan Okonomiyaki – Cabbage Carrot Pancakes. Japanese Okonomiyaki made vegan. Served with home made tonkatsu sauce.Makes 5 to 6 pancakes
Easy weeknight fix up. Vegan Okonomiyaki Pancakes. Chop up the veggies, make the pancake mix, cook on stove top and done.
Okonomiyaki are usually made with eggs, veggies and meats. Of course we use whatever veggies we have on hand. Chickpea flour adds color and a slight egg flavor with the kala namak. Add veggies of choice, mushrooms, add more nori and serve with okonomiyaki sauce, vegan mayo and picked ginger. Use all chickpea flour to make these gluten-free
One thing I need to learn to do more of this year is scheduling. Currently I don’t schedule anything unless really needed. Everything that gets posted on the blog, on facebook and other social media is organic. it depends on what I made that week or what I am craving and my mood basically 🙂 We made these yesterday and even though i have a few posts in drafts like a Boston Cream pie cake, these make it to the blog today! This definitely does not scale well. The planning helps clears up the weekend and vacation and reduces all the instant reactive work. Always more things to learn!
More quick meals from the blog.
- Vegan Chickpea Noodles with Garlic Tomato Sauce
- Chickpea Flour Vegan Omelette. Pancake with Onions and…
- Vegan Lentil Quinoa Loaf,
- Chickpea flour pancakes with cauliflower and shiitake
The tonkatsu sauce is inspired by Nami’s easy sauce recipe.
Vegan Okonomiyaki - Cabbage Carrot Pancakes
- 1/2 (0.5 ) head of cabbage
- 3/4 cup (96 g) carrots
- 1/2 (0.5 ) red or green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp scallions
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) white pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp miso optional
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) Indian black salt kala namak- optional
- 2 tsp crumbled nori sheets or 1/2 tsp togarashi - optional
- 3/4 cup (93.75 g) unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup (30 g) chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) baking powder optional
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
Easy Tonkatsu sauce:
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce or whatever sauce as we refer to it in my house 😉
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) sugar
- a few tsp water
- Shred all the veggies. Add vinegar, and everything through nori sheets keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Sifft in the flours + baking powder into the bowl and mix in. Add a little water to make a mix that can spread. You might not need much as the veggies leak a lot of water depending on how you shred them.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add oil. Spread the batter to even it out into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick pancake and cook for 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Serve with the tonkatsu sauce, vegan mayo and pickled ginger if you have some.
- Tonkatsu sauce: Mix all the ingredients until well combined and serve.