This super easy soup made with fresh asparagus today. Roast Asparagus, garlic and onion in the oven, cool and blend with broth, cashews, basil and dill.
Asparagus is one of those veggies like broccoli. I like it only certain ways. Well roasted is one of them. for this soup, the asparagus is roasted in the oven, then blended and simmered to cook up any of the raw flavor :). This soup comes together very very quickly. Fresh basil adds a wonderful flavor and cashews add some creamyness. It is creamy enough to be a cream of asparagus soup. 🙂 Drizzle some cashew cream and serve. I added basil to the cashew cream for a fresh basil burst. What is your favorite way to eat more Asparagus?
The pictures are after the soup was in the refrigerator for a bit, hence a bit thick. Adjust the consistency to preference.
More soups from the blog
Curried Butternut Squash Soup with toasted coconut. GF SF
Mushroom, chard, elbow pasta soup
Kale Spinach Miso Soup. GF SF
Cream of Mushroom soup. Gf SF
Roasted Asparagus Basil Soup. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe
- 14- 16 (14-16) Asparagus Spears
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 (0.5) white or red onion thick slices
- oil, salt and pepper as needed
- 1/2 cup (64.5 g) soaked cashews or 1/2 cup cashew cream
- 2 cups (470 ml) water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried dill or 2 tsp fresh dill
- 1/4 cup (6 g) packed basil leaves
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt or taste
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- a very generous dash of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F / 220ºc.
- Remove the hard stems from the Asparagus spread. Chop the Asparagus spears into 2 inch pieces. Place on parchment lined sheet. Place garlic cloves and onion in the center of the sheet. Spray or brush oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the garlic at 10 minutes if already golden.
- Cool slightly, then blend with the cashews, broth, dill, basil, olive oil, salt and nutritional yeast.
- Add blended puree to a pan and heat at medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Stir frequently. 8 - 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt. Add more water/broth if needed for desired consistency.
- Garnish with cashew cream and black pepper. I blended the cashews with some basil, lemon juice, salt, pepper for a herbed cashew cream drizzle. or add some sour cream and onion clusters.
This is delicious !!!!
Brilliant idea to roast veggies before blending. I added a Zucchini.
Question about the cashew cream. Can you send a link to that recipe?
Thank you. Thank you.
So good and so easy to make! Will absolutely make this again! So stoked to have a go-to asparagus recipe!
How long do you soak the cashews?
15 mins in hot water
Wonderful soup! Thank you. This is my family’s most requested soup.
Made this last night. Delicious flavor. I garnished with a dallop of cashew sour cream and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar – over the top yummy! We had some crusty multigrain baguette bread for it!
Kroger had asparagus on sale today so I finally made this (out of season). Good stuff.
i couldn’t find fresh asparagus, so i bought some pre-grilled, frozen asparagus from trader joes. sauteed rather than roasted these with the garlic, but the final product was still SO lovely. thanks for the recipe!
Thanks so much. Your blog rocks
Sunny Slope Farm
All three of us enjoyed this tonight! I’d thought I would stop harvesting for the season, but decided to pick one more time just to try out this recipe. Thanks so much!
Awesome! so glad you all like it!
An absolutely super combination, Richa. Love it.
I really love this soup, all the flavors are my favorite! It looks amazing! Hugs, Terra
I love asparagus in any shape or form, and it’s so easy to grow, I grew it for years in my old garden:) I made a similar soup just the other day, but with cauliflower – who would have thought it could taste to good? Do give that a try, the flavours really fo well together.
Glue and Glitter
Aah this looks AMAZING!
Cannot wait to try this… Looks wonderful!
Gabby @ the veggie nook
I don’t think I have ever has asparagus soup ever in my life! Must try it! Looks so green 🙂
you definitely do have to try it!