Lentil Brown Rice Soup. Easy 1 pot Lentil Rice Soup with Veggies, Spinach or greens of choice. 20 minutes active time then let everything simmer. Make it in a saucepan or Instant Pot. Serve with crackers, papadum or grilled vegan cheese sandwiches. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe. Pin this post for later.
This easy Lentil Brown Rice Soup is a filling meal with carrots, veggies, greens, and spices. Made in 1 pot and takes just 20 minutes active time.
Soak the lentils and rice. Roast up the whole spices, cook onion, ginger and garlic, add in the ground spices, some tomatoes, some veggies, then add in the drained lentils and rice, water, salt and simmer until ready. I used carrots, peppers and some of the broccoflower that was sitting in the fridge. The broccoflower or Romanesco broccoli has an interesting flavor profile. Use any veggies of choice. Fold in some spinach or baby greens towards the end. Serve this hearty soup with peppery crackers or papadum, or some chopped grilled vegan cheese sandwich croutons.
More soups from the blog
- Turkish Lentil Soup
- Mushroom Chickpea Soup
- Curried butternut squash soup
- Chard Mushroom Shallot Pasta soup
- Chipotle corn Chowder
- Moroccan lentil soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ cup brown lentils
- ⅓ cup brown rice (uncooked rice)
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( optional or use ½ tsp ground mustard later)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chile, chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garam masala or curry powder (or use other spice blends like taco spice, berbere, cajun etc)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp chipotle pepper
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1.5 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp ketchup (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups of veggies (I used bell pepper, carrots, broccoflower(Romanesco broccoli))
- 3.5 cups water for pressure cooker, 4 to 4.5 cups for saucepan
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped or baby spinach
- lemon juice, garam masala and cayenne for garnish
- Wash and Soak the lentil and rice if you haven't yet. (Soak for atleast 15 minutes before using).
- Heat oil in a saucepan or a pressure cooker over medium heat. When hot, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and cook until fragrant or they change color.
- Add bay leaf, onion, garlic ginger, chile and cook until translucent. about 5 mins.
- Ada the spices and mix in. Roast for half a minute
- Add the tomatoes and splash of water and cook until the tomatoes are saucy. mash the larger pieces. Add lemon juice, ketchup, veggies, salt and mix in.
- Drain and add lentils, rice, water/broth and mix in.
- Cover and cook for 40 minutes or longer until tender in the saucepan. If using pressure cooker, Pressure cook for 16 to 18 mins on stove top ( Manual 20 minutes in Instant Pot with natural release).
- Fold in the spinach in the last 5 minutes, Or when you open the pressure cooker and the soup is hot.
- Add a sprinkle garam masala, cayenne to taste and more lemon if needed. Serve with crackers or papaddum.
Reading this week.
The good stuff. 4 more Circus elephants were rescued from another circus in India! The precious 4 have only seen a life of abuse, torture and malnutrition and the rescue was very complicated and dangerous but eventually worked out. The elephants are responding well to the love by the Wildlife SOS team inspite of decades of abuse. See their story unfold on the Wildlife SOS facebook page.
The Buddhist Tiger Temple in Thailand is being raided right now and all of the 130 Tigers will be rescued and moved to sanctuaries. After many years of undercover investigations, there is enough proof that the temple was illegally breeding tigers, often inbreeding, trafficking old tigers, and drugging them for people to touch them and take pictures and selfies. Bodies of 40 tiger cubs were found in the freezer in the raid yesterday.
Vegan and eco-friendly clothing store Drizzle and Shine opened in Seattle with items that are kind to the earth and animals and that are made by people who are treated fairly.
Esther, the wonder Pig, the book releases today! Get a copy to read her inspiring story.
Zoos are businesses. Businesses that imprison animals into tiny jails, for people’s entertainment in exchange of money. Contrary to what many people believe, zoos play little role, if any at all, in the conservation of species. The concept of such a for-profit business and entertainment is why Harambe is not with us today.
Who knew that releasing butterflies on events was a thing? Each package holds a butterfly, who had been frozen into a sleep state or forced hibernation. The idea is that as they warmed, they would wake up and released on events. But most butterflies panic and are weak and die. Why would anyone subject those delicate beautiful beings to this.