It is getting chilly out some days and I have been craving peppery brothy soups for dinner. This is an easy soup in which you can add whatever you have in the fridge or pantry. Use any beans or lentils, some mushrooms and greens, veggies and some light peppery spices. Simmer and serve.
The garlic and ginger add a lot of flavor. Black pepper, white pepper, cinnamon and cumin add a deep complex profile to the warming flavorful broth. Cinnamon helps the pepper and the broth flavor profiles. Use other spices of choice. Add other veggies of choice. Add some cooked pasta for variation.
The next few weeks will be about trying to balance between 2 big events. Diwali on Nov 11 (that is so close!) and thanksgiving and then the rest of the holiday season. I found Diwali Bazaar on Amazon just today. I am off shopping for some Indian clothes and thinking of Diwali recipes for the week.
More soups from the blog
- Curried butternut squash soup
- Chard Mushroom Shallot Pasta soup
- Chipotle corn Chowder
- Moroccan lentil soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
Mushroom Chickpea Soup with Veggies and Greens
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup (96 g) sliced mushrooms I used cremini
- 1 to 2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 cup (64 g) chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup (91 g) other veggies like bell pepper, celery, sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup (82 g) cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) black pepper use less or more
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) white pepper
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cayenne
- 2 tsp soy sauce/tamari use gluten-free soy sauce if needed or Coconut Aminos to make soy-free
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 to 1.5 tsp sugar or other sweetener
- 2 cups (470 ml) broth or water
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) or more water
- 1 cup (30 g) spinach
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) or more salt use less if you plan to use salted broth, or add later
- cornstarch to thicken in the end if needed
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for 3 minutes or just about translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and mix and cook for 3 minutes or until they starts to get golden.
- Add ginger, carrots and veggies and cook for a minute.
- Add chickpeas and spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, broth and water. Partially cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add salt to taste and mix. Add in the spinach or other greens. Cook for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust salt, sweet, tang, spice. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to simmer for another 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs of choice or scallions. Serve hot.
- To thicken, mix 2 tsp cornstarch in 2 tbsp water and mix into the soup in the last 5 minutes. Bring to a boil.