Turmeric Miso Soup With Ginger, Garlic and Tofu. Kick that cold with this soothing, anti inflammatory, brothy soup. Vegan Gluten-free Nut-free Recipe. Can be made soy-free
I hit a cold bug this last weekend and wanted a bowl of soup that was hot, brothy, strong flavored. I decided to use elements from Mom’s tip for a cold – a peppery salty turmeric concoction to both gargle with and sip on, and the recent fave brothy miso soup to get the body ready to fight them bugs.
I went to the kitchen, chopped up stuff and kept adding to get the flavor I wanted. Ah. a bowl of goodness. And then trying to hold in the sneezes for a quick photo shoot.
The soup has liberal ginger, garlic, turmeric, miso and some shredded veggies. Add veggies of choice, some mushrooms and greens for variation. Make this healing soup your own. Amazingly simple and versatile. Between this soup and a sipping on my Golden Milk Spiced Latte, the cold seems to be on its way out.
More soups for the soul. A winter Minestrone, creamy Broccoli Slaw Soup, peppery Turkish lentil soup, Turmeric Laksa Curry Soup with fresh turmeric root, 15 min Indian Spiced Tomato Soup, Fall flavor Curried Butternut Squash Soup with toasted pepitas and brothy Mushroom chickpea greens soup.
If you don’t like turmeric, omit it. Don’t want the tofu, use more veggies and/or chickpeas, or mushrooms. To make it completely soy-free, use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce, and chickpea miso.
If you make this soup do leave me a comment, or tag me #veganricha on Instagram!
- 1 tsp oil
- 7 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 to 1.5 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- ½ hot green chile (optional)
- ½ to ¾ cup grated or shredded carrots
- ½ green or red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 7 oz (1/2 a block) of tofu, cubed small
- 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2.5 to 3.5 cups water (to preference)
- ½ tsp or more turmeric
- 1 tsp apple cider or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp or more sugar or maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt, less or more to taste, depends on your miso
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tbsp or more white mellow miso
- scallions for garnish
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and chile and cook until translucent. 4 mins.
- Add the carrots and peppers and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tofu and mix in. At this point you can also add in chopped veggies(chopped small) such broccoli.
- Add water, ⅓ tsp black pepper and rest of the ingredients except miso and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 4 minutes. Then add the miso and mix in. Taste and adjust salt, sweet and tang(vinegar). Simmer for another few minutes.
- Garnish with scallions and black pepper.
To make soy-free: use more veggies and/or chickpeas, or mushrooms. Use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce, and chickpea miso instead of white miso.