This bread is very moist because of the carrot and a bit spicy because of the ginger and goes well with Chai Tea!
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2-3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 -1/2 cup water
- 1 cup carrot pureed
- 2 inch ginger grated or pureed along with the carrots
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Warm the water and add yeast and sugar to it. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add the bread flour to the yeast mixture and mix well.
- Add the salt, and the carrot ginger puree and mix well.
Add in the whole wheat flour,1 cup at a time and knead into a soft dough. Add more water if needed. The carrot will loose moisture during rising, so keep a dough a bit dry.
- Place dough in a warm place, covered, for about an hour or until doubled.
- Add some raisins to the dough and Knead for 5 minutes.
- Shape dough into a loaf and place in a well greased bread pan.
- Place bread pan in warm oven, with a pan of boiling water for half an hour. Cover the bread pan with wet towel.
Remove water and towel and bake bread at 350 degrees F / 180ºc for about 30-35 minutes. Spray some water on the bread 1-2 times in the first 10 minutes. This bread takes a bit longer because of the extra water content in the carrots.
- Cool on rack before slicing!
Nutritional values are based on one serving