A healthy and delicious mung sprouts wheat bread. Your daily dose of proteins and fiber and great for sandwiches. Vegan Recipe.Jump to Recipe
This Bread has Mung bean sprouts and Wheat and some Kashmiri Garam Masala.. Your daily dose of proteins and fibre! I added some garam masala to reduce the sprouted taste from the bread. you can eliminate the masala or use some other spices. I kept the bread simple as I thought the bread would be very dense because of the sprouts. But it actually turned out quite soft and airy. It is dense with the coarse sprouts and wheat, but still airy enough and makes for an awesome sandwich bread!
Mung Sprouts Wheat Bread
- 2-3 cups (240-360 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (125 g) bread flour
- 1 packet quick rise yeast and .5 teaspoon active yeast
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Kashmiri Garam Masala Or cinnamon powder, cloves powder, cardamom powder and some black pepper
- 1 cup (105 g) green mung bean sprouts (2 day sprout of about the same length as the seed.. its warm these days)
- 1 tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) vegan butter
- 1/4 cup (55 ml) olive oil
- oil or oil spray for greasing
- Sprout the mung bean in a moist cloth in a dark place for 2 days or till the sprouts are the length of the seed. In winter it might take 3 days.
- Coarsely grind the sprouts in a blender with a little water and keep aside.
- Warm 1/4 cup (60ml) water and add yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar to it. Mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Grease the mixer bowl and add the bread flour, 2 cups (240g) whole wheat flour, salt, kashmiri masala, sugar to it and mix well
- Add in the olive oil, vegan butter, sprouts mixture and yeast mixture and some more water and knead. Add more water or flour as needed. The sprouts will make the bread more moist with time.
- Knead for 10-12 minutes( batches of 3-4 minutes in the mixer with occasional scraping) until a soft and not too sticky dough is formed.
- Place dough in well oiled container , lightly mist it with water then with oil spray, cover with plastic wrap, for 1.5 hours or until doubled.
- Punch the dough down and knead for a minute. Add some flour to reduce stickiness.
- Shape into loaf by pulling on all sides and tucking under.
- Place loaf in greased bread pan. Mist top with water then with oil spray. Cover with towel and keep in warm place for 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow.
- Cool completely before slicing. I usually put the cool bread in the refrigerator for an hour before slicing with my electric knife for some nice slices!
- Total time does not include sprouting the mung beans at home and 2 hours proving time
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving