Quick Rajma (Red Kidney Bean Curry) Vegan Gluten Free
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 cup (80 g) onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kashmiri garam masala or garam masala or chana masala blend
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of asafoetida (hing – optional)
- 1 inch ginger chopped (can be substituted with ginger paste)
- 4 to 5 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped (can be substituted with garlic paste)
- 1/2 (0.5 ) green chili chopped or to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped small
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 15 oz (16 oz) can dark red kidney beans (drained or 2/3 cup dry kidney beans, soaked overnight or atleast 4 hours)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) rock salt/black salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) raw sugar
- In a pressure cooker or Instant Pot, add oil and heat on medium heat. Add onions.
- Cook until onions are translucent. Add in the spices, kashmiri garam masala, bay leaf, asofetida, chili, ginger, garlic and mix well for half a minute.
- Add in the chopped tomato and cook on medium low on stove top, partially covered with occasional stirring for 10-12 minutes, till tomatoes are mushy and leave the sides of the pan. (In the Instant pot, add a generous splash of water and stir frequently to cook until tomatoes are tender)
- Add in the lemon juice salt, sugar and red kidney beans and 1 cup of water for cooked and 1.5 cups of water for soaked kidney beans.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium high and 3 to 4 whistles on medium-low heat for uncooked soaked beans. (Manual 15 minutes for cooked/canned, 25 minutes for uncooked soaked beans, at high pressure.). Let the pressure release naturally. Mash some of the kidney beans with the spatula.
- Serve hot topped with lemon wedges, cilantro, garam masala and Rotis or Naans(flat breads) or fresh Basmati rice. Quick and fun everyday Kidney beans curry.