Bhindi Zunka (Okra cooked with chickpea flour and spices). Delicious, crispy okra that makes a great snack or appetizer. Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Okra is one of those gooey vegetables, that can easily put me off. Though hubbs is an avid fan, he does not like the gooeyness too. I try to make it as slime free as possible. There is always an option of deep frying it, but I dont really deep fry anything unless really needed.
Fresh or frozen Okra can usually be found at Indian stores or Asian supermarkets. frozen okra gets gooeyer, but can be crisped up with longer cooking time in open pan.
Bhindi Zunka (Okra Cooked With Chickpea Flour and Spices) Vegan Gluten Free
- 3 Tablespoons chickpea flour (besan)
- 2 cups (200 g) chopped okra
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- pinch of asofetida (hing) - optional, it helps add a garlicky flavor and helps with digestion
- 2/3 teaspoon (0.67 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) chili flakes or red chili powder to taste
- 2 teaspoons oil
- In a pan, dry roast the chickpea flour on low-medium heat stirring every 15-30 seconds till it gives out an aroma or starts to change to a deeper color(5-7 minutes).
- Keep the chickpea flour aside. Add oil to the pan and heat on medium heat.
- Add in the asofetida, cumin and coriander powders and fennel seeds and mix well for a few seconds.
- Add in the turmeric and chili flakes and mix well.
- Add in the okra and mix well to coat. Cook partially covered on low-medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add half the salt and mix well and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes till okra is tender crisp done. If the okra is too slimy, cook uncovered for a bit longer.
- Add in the roasted chickpea flour, a Tablespoon at a time, and a little more salt and mix well to coat okra. Sprinkle a few drops of water to help the chickpea flour stick to the okra(you might not need water if the okra is still gooey).
- Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 15 seconds till the chickpea flour is clumpy and sticking to okra pieces and not dry. Adjust salt and spice if needed, mix and take off heat. You can add more chickpea flour to make a really crusty okra which makes for a fun snack.
- Serve hot topped with chopped cilantro leaves or crushed roasted peanuts, with Roti/Naan or any Indian flat bread, and daal(lentil soup). or eat as is, as a snack!
- Add some chopped onion, cook for 2 minutes and then add okra. Use other spices like Ajwain(carom seeds) or mustard seeds. Add dried herbs like Oregano or Kasuri methi(fenugreek leaves) along wit the chickpea flour.