Mom’s Black Eyed Peas Curry (Raungi or Lobhia. Black Eyed Peas Curry Indian Recipe. Curried black eyed beans cooked with Indian spices and onion tomato sauce. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free. Jump to Recipe
Mom's Black Eyed Peas Curry (Raungi) Vegan Gluten Free
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 inch ginger chopped (can be substituted with ginger paste)
- 4-5 cloves (4 cloves) of garlic peeled and chopped (can be substituted with garlic paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) red chili flakes or 1 green chili to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- pinch of asofetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon Chana Masala powder blend or Garam masala Or 1 bay leaf and 1/4 teaspoon each of coriander powder, cinnamon powder, cloves powder, cardamom powder, black pepper and pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup (172 g) dry black eye peas soaked for an hour or overnight
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) raw sugar
- In a blender, add 3 medium chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chili, lemon juice. Blend into a paste and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and onions.
- Cook until onions are translucent. Add in the spices, asofetida, garam masala or chana masala blend and mix well.
- Add in the blended tomato mixture and cook over medium low, partially covered with occasional stirring until the paste thickens and starts to leave oil (about 15-20 minutes)
- Add in the salt, sugar and 1.5 cups water depending on your preference for thick or thin curry. Add in drained black eyed peas.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles(7 to 9 mins at high pressure).
- Let the pressure cooker release pressure by itself( 5 minutes). Adjust salt. Add more garam masala spice blend and chili flakes per taste. Mix well.
- Serve hot topped with lemon wedges, cilantro and Rotis or Naans(Indian flat breads) or Basmati Rice! Have a fun day!
- Saucepanr: Add 2 cups water, salt, soaked black eyed peas to the tomato mixture after step 4 in a saucepan. Cover and cook on low-medium for about an hour. Stir once or twice in between. Mash some black eyed peas, adjust water if needed. Serve hot. If using canned black eyed peas, cook with 1 cup water for 20 to 25 minutes.