Pigeon Pea Soup with Opo Squash/Bottle Gourd (Lauki Waali Toor Dal)
- 3/4 cup (177.44 g) split Toor daal (split and skinless pigeon pea(pigeon pea can be substituted with any split peas or Mung daal, petite yellow lentils))
- 2 cups (280 g) opo squash/lauki cubed (found in indian stores or asian supermarkets, can be substituted with a different mild flavored squash like zucchini)
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) mustard seeds (Raee)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) nigella seeds (Kalonji seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cumin seeds
- pinch of asofetida (hing)
- 5 curry leaves (you can find these fresh or frozen in any Indian store. If you dont have these, substitute with one bay leaf)
- 1/2 (0.5 ) Serrano chili pepper or chili flakes to taste (quantity by heat level of the pepper. The current organic Serrano we get are extremely hot)
- 4-5 cloves (4 cloves) of garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) raw sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Soak the lentils in warm water for an hour.
- In a pressure cooker or pan, heat the oil on medium heat until hot on medium heat.
- Add mustard(raee) seeds and after a few seconds of sputtering, add cumin(jeera) and nigella(Kalonji) seeds.
- Add in the asofetida(hing) and curry leaves and mix.
- Add in the chili, turmeric, ginger and garlic and cook till garlic is golden brown.(1-2 minutes)
- Add in squash and rinsed soaked daal(pigeon pea), water, salt, 1/4 teaspoon sugar(optional). You can also add in 1 medium tomato, chopped.
- Mix well. Cook for 2 whistles in pressure cooker(15 minutes on high pressure) or Cook covered for 30-35 minutes if in pan.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro and lime wedges. Serve with basmati rice or as a side with Roti, pickles, vegetable stir fry dishes and a salad of onions and cucumbers tossed in lemon juice, salt and black pepper!. Theres your complete indian meal!
- Serve as soup with warm poppy dinner rolls with lime juice, olive oil, and garam masala garnish. Comfort food on a cool evening!. Have an awesome day everyone!