This Kadai Gobi and Tempeh dish is the vegan version of Kadai Paneer. Jump to Recipe
- 8 oz (226.8 g) tempeh or about 2 cups small cubes tempeh.
- 1 medium green bell pepper shimla mirch, capsicum
- 1 cup (100 g) cauliflower florets big ones chopped
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion chopped or sliced
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) piece of ginger
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 green chili
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin seed jeera
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) turmeric haldi
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) garam masala Punjabi garam masala works best
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- In a large kadhai or any deep pan, add oil and heat medium-high heat.
- Add in the chopped tempeh and cook for a minute, stir and cook for another minute or 2 until some of the sides turn golden. Remove tempeh and keep aside.
- Add in the bell pepper and cauliflower and cook stirring so some of the edges get golden. Remove and keep aside(you can skip this step and add them later to the curry directly as well)
- Add in the cumin seeds and onions to the same oil and cook for 5-7 minutes until translucent.
- Add in the spices and mix well, cook for a minute.
- Blend the tomatoes, ginger, garlic and green chili to make a puree.
- Add puree to the the onions and mix well.
- Add in the tempeh and salt, sugar, mix and cook on low-medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or until the tomato gravy thickens enough and sticks to the tempeh.
- Add in water(depending on how dry or wet you want the final dish), lemon juice, bell peppers and cauliflower. mix well, adjust salt and spice to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes until cauliflower is tender.
- Serve hot topped with chopped cilantro, with flat bread(Naan, roti) or Rice!.