My General Tso’s Tempeh recipe is sure to satisfy your takeaway cravings!Jump to Recipe
This is non fried version of the General Tsos saucy Tempeh with a citrusy twist. Add some blanched Broccoli or bok choy to it for a bigger portion and some greens. You know who reads my blog on her Iphone these days? My mom! She has one from her visit here in october and she is adept at all things I- … Ipad, Iphone. She reads the blog and gets her own creative ideas and makes things.. She saw my Naan post and made some with baking powder, yogurt and whole wheat flour and surprised Dad!
Also, Thank you Laura from GlutenfreePantry for the Liebster award!
Some other versions to help use Tempeh to sub meat.. Try the Tempeh Seekh Kebab patty, its a long recipe, but with all the spices and crumbled tempeh, there is no beany taste or texture! Or Try some of the Indian curries like Kadhai Tempeh and Cauliflower.
General Tso's Tempeh
- 3/4 cup (124.5 g) of cubed Tempeh 4 oz
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice I used freshly squeezed Satsuma juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce/tamari
- 2 teaspoon raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) chili flakes or Sriracha to taste
- 1 teaspoon white wine or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) sherry optional
- 2-3 teaspoons (2 teaspoons) vegan hoisin sauce to taste I used just about 2 tsp
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed in 1/3 to 1/2 cup of water depending on your preference of quantity and consistency of sauce.
- In a deep medium pan, add the tempeh, water, soy sauce, orange juice, ginger powder, garlic powder and sugar
- Mix well and cook covered on low heat, until all liquid is absorbed(12-15 minutes).You can also marinate the tempeh in the mix for half an hour before cooking.
- In another medium pan, add 1 teaspoon of oil and heat on medium heat.
- Add the cooked tempeh and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes until some sides are brown/crisp.
- Add garlic cloves, ginger and cook for half a minute.
- Add the following; soy sauce, sugar, orange juice, chilli flakes, white wine, sherry, hoisin, sesame oil and cornstarch
- Mix well to coat and cook on low-medium heat until the sauce thickens(5-7 minutes). Adjust spice and Sauces if needed to taste.(depends on the sauce brands, each has different flavor depth)
- Serve hot with a cup of white or brown rice, topped with chopped green onions/scallions and a slice of mandarin orange.