This vegan khandvi is a simple recipe. Chickpea flour batter is set to form wide noodles, which are rolled up, spiced and served.Jump to Recipe
These Chickpea flour rolls make for a fun snack. They look so pretty, are glutenfree, soy free, healthy and you can hide some interesting greens in them! Some chopped blanched greens, or a greens garlicky pesto or serve with a side of green dips. If you havent tried them yet, you should try some now!
Vegan Khandvi- Chickpea Roll ups stuffed with Kale and Cilantro.
- 1/4 cup (30 g) chickpea flour
- 2 Tablespoons So Delicious plain Greek yogurt + 1/2 cup water or 4 Tablespoons plain coconut milk yogurt or other non dairy yogurt + 1/3 cup water
- a generous pinch of Asafoetida hing
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) green chili paste or chili/cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- 1/3 teaspoon (0.33 teaspoon) salt
- 1 teaspoon organic canola or virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons organic canola or virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) mustard seeds
- 1 Tablespoon shredded coconut optional
- 1 Tablespoon Cilantro finely chopped
- a generous pinch asafoetida hing
- 1 green chili finely chopped or to taste
- 2-3 Tablespoons (2 Tablespoons) Finely Chopped Kale and Cilantro blanched, for adding to the roll ups or smooth kale or greens pesto or cilantro chutney.
- Mix all the batter ingredients, except oil to make a lump free batter. Blend it using a hand blender or a regular blender if needed.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a medium pan, Add the batter and cook on low heat.
- Stir continuously and evenly to avoid lumps. Cook till the mixture does not taste raw and thickens to slight gel like consistency. (4-6 minutes depending on the pan)
- Drop the mixture immediately on aluminium foil and spread as thin as possible with a spatula.( 2 to 3 mm thick). Video of authentic(non-vegan) Khandvi here to get an idea of how the batter behaves.
- After it has completely cooled( 10 minutes), cut into 1.5 -2 inch wide strips.
- Oil your hands, lift one side carefully and Roll each strip into rolls, like a fruit roll up. Place some soft finely chopped Kale leaves or spinach, cilantro, or chutneys on the strip before rolling for a stuffed roll up. Place each roll up on a serving plate. You can refrigerate these for a day or 2 and temer right before serving.
- For the tempering, Heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, and allow them to start popping.
- Add asafoetida, and chili and cook for 15 seconds.
- Pour over rolls.
- Garnish with shredded coconut, chopped cilantro and lemon juice. Serve.