Kulfi is a dense unwhipped ice cream from the Indian subcontinent. The age old way of making kulfi involved slow cooking whole milk till it reduced to half and very thick consistency, then freezing it in molds kept in a mixture of ice and salt in an earthenware(matka) for the soft frozen texture. No Ice-maker needed.
These Pista Kulfi popsicles are easily made vegan with nondairy milk and cream made of nuts like pistachios or cashews. Add flavors like cardamom or saffron.
Pistachio Almond Cardamom Popsicle - Pista Kulfi - vegan glutenfree
- 3 Tablespoons (3 Tablespoons) raw Pistachios
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) raw almonds
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) almond milk or other non dairy milk or make your own nut milk
- 2 teaspoons (2 teaspoons) cornstarch or any thickening starch or 1 Tablespoon ground cashew
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.13 teaspoon) cardamom powder
- a pinch of saffron optional
- 2-4 Tablespoons (2 Tablespoons) raw sugar powdered ( to taste)
For variations: Add a pinch of black pepper, or a Tablespoons of chopped dark chocolate, or a Tablespoon of ginger snap crumbs/crystallized ginger.
- Grind the Pistachios and then the almonds into as fine a powder as possible.(some of it may become buttery, which is fine), or use pistachio or almond butter,
- In a blender, add the ground Pistachios and almonds, cornstarch, raw sugar, spices and Almond milk. Blend well until the mixture is well combined.
- Transfer mix to a pan and bring to just about a boil on low-medium heat, stirring almost constantly.
- Or microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for 30 seconds again(it should bubble slightly).
- The mixture will thicken at just about the boiling stage. Add a few tsp more nut flour(pistachio/almond or cashew) if you like it the kulfi mix to be really thick. If adding cashew flour, then bring to a boil.
- Take off heat. Let cool a bit. Taste and adjust sugar.
- Add in the cardamom, pepper/candied ginger is using, mix , then transfer to Popsicle, Kulfi, or ice cream molds or ramekins.
- Cover the open molds/ramekins with aluminium foil and let freeze overnight.
- Let the popsicles or molds sit out or dip in warm-hot water to take the frozen ice cream out.
- Serve as is, or in a parfait with fresh mango, pistachio, and ginger snap crumbs.
- Or drizzle some salted caramel or peppered sugar syrup.