Zesty, orange, spicy, mouth watering! This Vegan Orange Tofu!
More orangey recipes.. Savory Sriracha Quinoa Millet Orange Peanut Granola or this Crispy Orange Cauliflower .
In other Reading, On this day, we, the people on the interweb are also working on another big issue.
Imagine if your entire community was rounded up against its will. Pretty members were plucked from their families for a life of slavery and confinement and the others are brutally slaughtered. No, it is not the Hunger Games. This is what happens in Taiji every single year and it is one of the most brutal, inhuman things on the planet. (via Ashley)
Dolphins ripped from their very maternal mothers and when those mothers go to their babies, they’re stabbed. Who funds this? The Government of Japan, Marine parks, Aquariums, Sea World, and Swim-with-dolphin attractions pay top dollar for these dolphins.
You can follow all the updates and live steam at the Sea Shepherds’ Cove guardians page.
What can we do?
Write to the embassies, write to the goverments, to the authorites
Volunteer , Spread the word, share on Social media
This story is getting picked up by all major news channels right now, ABC news, CNN, CBS, Reuters.
The outrage and sharing caused by one video of Anne the circus elephant being mercilessly beaten, that led to a ban of wild animal use in circuses in many countries. The angora rabbit fur outrage going on right now, leading to a ban or suspension of rabbit fur use in clothes. The petitions, outrage and sharing makes a difference. Thank you for reading and supporting these very intelligent creatures.
Back to the recipe..
Cook the tofu until golden on some sides.
Add garlic and pepper and cook for a minute. Move the tofu to the side.
Add the sauce and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes.
Add more Sambal Oelek chili paste for a deeper color.
Taste and adjust spice. Serve hot.
Recipe Video below:
Spicy Vegan Orange Tofu and Peppers. Glutenfree Recipe
- 2 to 3 tsp cornstarch use arrowroot to make corn-free, add more starch for thicker sauce and glaze
- 2 Tbsp warm water 1/4 cup for thinner and more sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (low sodium) or liquid aminos
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup agave or 1 Tbsp raw sugar
- 1 tbsp or more Asian Hot Chili paste/Sambal oelek or 2 tsp of Sriracha (or to taste)
- Zest of 1 clementine or small orange
- 1 Juice of 1 orange 1/3+ cup
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 7 oz firm Tofu , cubed, patted down with paper towels to remove excess moisture . I use Nasoya non gmo Organic.
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped/sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- In a bowl, whisk cornstarch and water. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple, hot chili sauce, orange juice and zest, and reserve.
- Heat oil in a very large nonstick pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add tofu to pan and cook, browning on most sides, about 6-8 minutes. Cover the pan if there is too much sputtering. Add garlic and sliced bell pepper or blanched veggies and cook for half a minute. Add the sauce and cook until sauce begins to bubble(2-4 minutes). Then reduce heat, cover and cook for another 2 minutes. Serve with rice or other grains.