Thank you for the lovely guest post Cara. I definitely need these crispy caulis in my life. I heart Cauliflower.
Over to Cara. 🙂
You don’t need me to tell you about Richa’s natural talent to not only create some of the most beautiful vegan recipes on the internet but also how she is one of the kindest souls walking on this planet. But I’m going to anyway. I’m a huge Richa fan and I find myself constantly inspired by her. So because of that I wanted to create for her one my most tasty dinner recipes to date.
Cara's Crispy Orange Cauliflower. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe
- 1 small head of cauliflower cut into small florets (I used a pre-package of cauliflower bought from Trader Joe's)
For Flour Mixture:
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 Tb water allow to sit until thickens
- 1/3 cup (83.33 ml) water
- 1/3 cup (42.67 g) corn starch
- 1/4 cup (31.25 g) Cara's gluten-free flour blend or use wheat/other flour
- 1 tsp oil
For Orange Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3-4 (3 ) garlic cloves peeled and zested
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- zest of 1 orange + juice of orange
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce gluten-free , or use coconut aminos to make soy-free
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
Orange Sauce Drizzle:
- 1/4 cup (62 ml) orange juice
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Blend all ingredients together until a nice batter is formed (shouldn't be too thick: think waffle batter consistency).
- While you are doing this, heat up a skillet with 1/2 c. oil on medium/high heat. Make sure it has been properly heated.
- Dip each small floret into the batter and make sure each piece is entirely covered.
- Fry in oil until completely browned. * or Bake at 425 degrees F / 220ºc for 25 to 30 minutes. Add more flour to the batter to make it thick if needed
- Allow to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a clean skillet, heat oil and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add green onions, zest and juice. Cook another 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce and vinegar and bring to a boil. Toss in crispy cauliflower into the skillet and coat thoroughly. Keep on the pan briefly.
- Place on top of rice.
Orange Sauce Drizzle:
- In that same skillet, throw in the remainder ingredients and bring to a boil for just 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Drizzle over orange cauliflower and rice.
- Garnish with green scallions, orange zest, and sesame seeds.