So, Even though my liking for Tofu has moved from dislike to mildly like, I still prefer to use other options if I possibly can in recipes. Pound cake is one of them. Most recipes I have seen on the interwebz use tofu in the batter to get the dense eggy pound cake texture.
During the Valentine’s week, I was trying to develop a recipe for a good vanilla souffle and as luck would have it, the result was never a souffle. But it was delicious (I ate at least 4 mini jars that day) and the texture, smell and taste reminded me of a pound cake :). So I decided to try the same method I was using to make me some pounds cake loafs. After a couple of tries here are some awesome Pound cakes.
The fun ingredient here is a roux. A thick flour roux + extra flax seed meal, makes for a soft spongy and dense cake. You can add lesser roux for a softer lighter cake and more for a denser firm version. And those flecks are brown flax meal. Use golden flax seeds for whiter cakes.
I added some lemon zest to one loaf and loved it! TGIF. Make some this weekend!
More Cakes and quick breads
Spiced Apple Cake with Salted Caramel
Banana Chocolate Cake. Oil-free
Pumpkin Mousse Layer Cake with Spelt Sponge. yum
Gingerbread Cake in a jar . GF
Tiramisu Cheesecake Brownies. GF
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix flaxmeal and milk in another bowl.
Make the roux by cooking the flour with oil and then adding almond milk to make a thick mix.
Mix the roux in the flax mixture and then add to dry and mix into a stiff batter.
Drop and shape the batter into greased mini loaves.
Bake until golden. Cool for 10 mins, slice and serve.
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp almond milk
- 2 Tbsp flaxmeal flax seed meal, use golden flax
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp ground raw sugar or other fine sugar
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 6 Tbsp flour 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Zest of 1 lemon if making a lemon pound loaf
- Wet: In a bowl, mix the flaxmeal and almond milk, let sit for a minute. Then add everything else under wet. Mix until well combined.
- In another bowl, add everything under dry, whisk and keep ready. If using zest, add to dry ingredients and mix.
- In a small pan, heat 3 Tbsp oil on medium heat. Add the flour and cook until aromatic. 2 minutes.
- Take the pan off heat and add about a Tbsp of the almond milk. Mix in and add the rest of the almond milk. Mix and put back on low-medium heat. Mix until a thick roux is formed and the it leaves the pan. 1 minute.
- Let the roux cool for a minute then mix into the wet mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Combine the wet and dry. Drop batter onto well greased and floured mini pans. Even it out using a spatula or oiled hands. The batter will be very thick like a spongy soft dough.
Bake in preheated 350 degrees F / 180ºc oven for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 325f / 160ºc and bake for another 5 minutes for a browner crust.
- Cool completely before slicing. Serve with whipped non dairy cream, strawberries or as is.